I was thinking more about what I posted yesterday. It would be easy to get discouraged by how nonbelievers and even Christians view God. However, God does not change based on our misconception of Him. His position as God does not shift because we do not acknowledge His supremacy. Rather, we are the ones who suffer from our lack of understanding or refusal to acknowledge who He is. Thank God, He knows that we would rather be blind than see Him as He is and yet He is merciful to give sight to the blind. I was comforted by these verses:
Yesterday's devotional from gracegems.org was by Jonathan Edwards. I don't think Edwards buys into the modern concept of self esteem and "let's try and save people by making them feel good about themselves and not confronting them with sin or repentance."
The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men. Psalm 11:4
Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Psalm 45:6
Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found, 'twas blind but now I see.
Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Psalm 45:6
Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found, 'twas blind but now I see.
Yesterday's devotional from gracegems.org was by Jonathan Edwards. I don't think Edwards buys into the modern concept of self esteem and "let's try and save people by making them feel good about themselves and not confronting them with sin or repentance."
Poor lost sinner, you never have exercised the least degree of love to God; and therefore it would be agreeable to your treatment of Him—if He should never express any love to you. Why should God be obliged to express such wonderful love to you—who has never exercised the least degree of love to Him in all your life? You never have loved God—who is infinitely glorious and lovely; and why then, is God under obligation to love you—who are deformed all over, and loathsome as a filthy worm, or rather a hateful viper! You have also slighted the honor of God, and valued it no more than the dirt under your feet! Seeing you thus disregard so great a God—is it a heinous thing for God to slight you—a little, wretched, despicable creature; a worm, a mere nothing, and less than nothing; a vile insect, that has risen up in contempt against the Majesty of heaven and earth?
I have not read that many Puritan authors but I get the sense that this was not just poetic language. I think they really had a clear view of their total depravity before God. Perhaps that is why they reverenced Him in a way that is almost lost today. Perhaps that is why they could remain devoted to Him and His Word through tremendous suffering because they appreciated the greatness of salvation through Jesus Christ. Perhaps we don't appreciate God as we should because we don't see how vile we really are. More food for thought...
I have not read that many Puritan authors but I get the sense that this was not just poetic language. I think they really had a clear view of their total depravity before God. Perhaps that is why they reverenced Him in a way that is almost lost today. Perhaps that is why they could remain devoted to Him and His Word through tremendous suffering because they appreciated the greatness of salvation through Jesus Christ. Perhaps we don't appreciate God as we should because we don't see how vile we really are. More food for thought...
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. Luke 11:47
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.