Skip to main content

Reading in the New Year

Here is a list of books that I finished last year:

The Gospel According to Jesus - John MacArthur
The Truth War - John MacArthur
The Mystery of Providence - John Flavel

Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ - John Bunyan
The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan

Advice to Sufferers - John Bunyan
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners - John Bunyan
The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment - Jeremiah Burroughs

The Godly Man's Picture - Thomas Watson

The Mortification of Sin - John Owen

Warnings to the Churches - J.C. Ryle

Joy Unspeakable - Martin Lloyd-Jones

Christless Christianity - Michael Horton


On the list for this year to finish as well as to start:

No Place for Truth - David Wells
The Courage to be Protestant - David Wells

Knowing God - J.I. Packer
Gospel Fear - Jeremiah Burroughs
The Evil of Evils - Jeremiah Burroughs

A Treatise of Earthly Mindedness - Jeremiah Burroughs
Holiness - J.C. Ryle

I would also like to finish the books that I did not read during the 2008 Puritan Reading Challenge. I am sure that there are more that I would like to add to my list like Unpacking Forgiveness by Chris Brauns and Studies in Perfectionism by B.B. Warfield. I have started the ESV Bible reading plan for the year and hope to stick with it.

As far as which books meant the most to me from last year, they are without a doubt:
The Mystery of Providence, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, and The Mortification of Sin. I never thought that 300 year old writings from some dead Puritan theologians would speak exactly to my situation. God used those to bring me to the Doctrines of Grace and a rest in Himself and His sovereignty that I had never known before. I am looking forward to tackling my reading list and learning more of Him this year.

~SDG

Comments

  1. Flavel's book helped lead me out of a worldly megachurch and into a small, but faithful Calvinistic Baptist church. I thank God for those godly men of old who wrote biblical books that can still speak to us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh there are some good books on that list that I am going to look for at my local library.
    The ESV bible reading plan is so awesome! I listen to it a few times during the day and then read it at night. I really adore my ESV bible!
    Happy reading!
    Soli Deo Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing accomplishment! Especially, in this day in age. John Owen's volume alone is quite a mindful! His sentences sometimes seem more like paragraphs. I have this volume and you have encouraged me to start again and read it through. My favorite volume of his is the Death of Death in the Death of Christ. Another favorite of mine is A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson. You must be on MacArthur's mailing list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew nothing of the Doctrines of Grace prior to 2008 so I am making up for lost time. It was also nothing less than the providence of God that He led me to some of these books at critical times in my life last year. Coming from a very semi-Pelagian/deeper life background, these books have been a balm to my soul in trying to understand the sovereignty of God and also getting a truer Biblical view of who God is. He is so good!

    Thanks for your comments. I am new to this blog stuff so I appreciate your stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.