Skip to main content

Back to school

Today was the first day of school. We had a hard time getting started because of the wedding yesterday. We stayed to help the family clean up after the reception and didn't get home until after 10:30 PM. But even with the late start, we were able to cover most of the subjects.

I am looking forward to digging into history and literature. Both of the authors' intents are to teach critical evaluation of historical events and literature in the light of a Biblical worldview. The second unit in the literature curriculum covers a history of worldviews from ancient Greece to our current postmodern era which is of special interest to me.

Latin is going to be very interesting. Both my daughter and I love learning about word origins and usage, so we will both gain from studying Latin together.

We are using a video course for chemistry. It's not a lab course but geared towards the analytical skills necessary for chemistry. I appreciate that the course isn't about rote memorization but to understanding the formulas and their proper applications.

In addition to the above, she is studying grammar, spelling, vocabulary, Algebra, and piano. This makes for a very full day.

All of the books arrived on time with an extra surprise. I received a call from one of the companies notifying me that I might be getting some extra shipments. There was an error in the computer system that was just discovered. When an item was placed on back order, the system would search every half hour to see if it was in stock. Unfortunately, it would place another new order at the same time giving me nine extra orders.

I wonder what the mail carrier thought when she made the delivery. Once I get the return mailing labels, I'll have to make a trip to the post office.

All and all, I think we had a good start to the school year and I pray for God's blessing each day.

Comments