Skip to main content

God's will for your socks

I loaned Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung to a friend. We had a good discussion about the book today. We're both recovering from some fear-based, semi-mystical ideas about the will of God so it has been very freeing.

Formerly, finding the will of God was as hard as hitting a bull's eye at 50 feet with a dollar store dart gun minus your glasses. Of course, it is difficult to be 100% sure whether you hit the mark, so life is still full of second guessing, if only's, and what if's.

It's sad how this mindset also takes our attention away from obeying what is commanded in Scripture to becoming incapacitated over what should be a common sense decision. It would be like agonizing over whether to wear the argyle or striped socks and ignore the admonition to be anxious for nothing. I would venture to say that obedience to the Word outweighs sock color any day.

There are times when I am tempted to second guess decisions I made, things I did in the past. If I had done this instead of that, would life be different today? But I don't need to go down that path of doubt and distrust. I just need to believe in God's sovereignty and providence. God's will is never in jeopardy, because He's God.

Comments

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.