Skip to main content

But God being rich in mercy

Pastor Ryan spoke on the book of Hosea today.  It's a sad story - a story of Israel's spiritual adultery.  After being chosen by God from among the nations, delivered from Egypt, given the law, and the temple, they give their hearts to idols.  God pronounces judgment on the nation, and they are carried off into captivity.

But this book is an amazing story of the God who is the faithful Husband, extending mercy to His faithless wife.  Even though they will suffer justly for their sins, He promises to restore them.  To show mercy to "No Mercy" and to make a people of "Not My People."

This is our story too.  We were spiritual adulterers, giving our hearts and devotion to false gods and turning our backs on the One to whom we owed our existence.  God pronounced judgment upon us, but it did not fall on those who deserved it.  It fell upon His Son on the cross.  Thus He shows mercy to those who deserved no mercy and called us to be His people who were aliens and foreigners to the household of God.

Unfortunately our story doesn't end there.  Even after He has redeemed us, our hearts still stray. We may not be bowing to a graven image, but we look to our personal idols to give us meaning, security, happiness.  We turn to anxiety in a heartbeat rather than prayerful trust.

But when we find ourselves in this situation, where do we turn?  We go back to the same Gospel with which we began.  That is the fuel for our repentance. Nothing we can bring in ourselves. "But God being rich in mercy..." is our plea from first to last.

~~~

As I was meditating on the sermon, I could not help but think of the line, "Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.  Prone to leave the God I love."  So fickle, so changeable, so unfaithful.  That's my heart.  "But God being rich in mercy..." That's my hope.

I also thought of the people on our hearts - those who have not come to faith in Christ or those who have forsaken Him.  I had read and prayed through Hosea when my ex-husband left.  I wept before the Lord praying that He would grant repentance and turn his heart as He promised to turn Israel's heart. God did not grant those prayers at that time.  But rather than giving up, today's sermon gives me fuel to continue to pray.  I have no expectations for marital reconciliation, but there is something more important at stake - Eternity.  As long as he is alive, there is still hope, because my hope is in a God who is rich in mercy.

Comments

  1. Hosea is one of my favorite books in the Bible. Whenever I read it, I always weep over this God whose love seems to know no limits. What do we know about this kind of faithfulness?

    Thank you for sharing these notes -- and, I join you in your prayers.

    God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good sermon. You're right God is rich in mercy and that gives us great hope. Joining you in your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also praying here Persis. Never give up as long as there is breath my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Persis, my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Persis-our God is faithful to the fickle. I am so glad He keeps His own. I am praying for you too-you are wise to never stop praying for the salvation of a lost one. We must never give up prayer for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post and a wonderful reminder of our faithful God. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing so openly how this scripture spoke to you. Your soul speaks loudly it's intent when you say your hope is in eternity and not in marital reconciliation. I could imagine that takes love and love can be a hard thing to come by in divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful words, Persis! I was just reading this morning how we are prone to give up too quickly in our praying. May God grant you ex-husband a repentant heart that desires to glorify Him in all things.

    Come Thou Fount is one of my favorite hymns, and I focus on those lines every time I sing it.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a very encouraging read! For the people on our hearts Eternity is at stake! May God ever increase our understanding and compassion, and our hope and faith as well as our willing endurance to pray--to pray without ceasing! "But God being rich in mercy..." that's my prayer and hope as well! Praying with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.