Skip to main content

From the Gadsby Hymnal

'Tis my happiness below.
Not to live without the cross,
But the Saviour's power to know,
Sanctifying every loss.

Trials must and will befall;
But with humble faith to see
Love inscribed upon them all,
This is happiness to me.

Trials make the promise sweet;
Trials give new life to prayer;
Trials bring me to his feet;
Lay me low and keep me there.

Did I meet no trials here,
No chastisement in the way,
Might I not with reason fear
I should be a castaway?

Bastards may escape the rod,
Sunk in earthly, vain delight;
But the true-born child of God
Must not, would not if he might.

William Cowper (1731-1800)

Comments

  1. Trials bring me to his feet; Lay me low and keep me there. Oh, yes. He knows exactly what we need as his true-born children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and edifying! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love inscribed upon them all...what a beautiful way to describe the trials of believers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Persis! I love the writing of William Cowper. Have you ever read his, "Self-Acquaintance." Our children memorized it. He lived such a sad life, too, though His deep love for the Lord and his deep sense of his sin are so clear in his writings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha, thanks for mentioning the Cowper poem. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.