9. & 10. Think by John Piper & Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know and Doesn't by Stephen Protheroe - I'm putting these together as a pair. From the Christian perspective, Piper deals with the misconception that thinking deeply about what we believe is mutually exclusive to our heart's affection towards God. Rather than pitting one against the other, we need both. Protheroe does not claim to be a believer, but he documents the historical move away from doctrine in evangelicalism to a least common denominator, an experience. (Very interesting when an unbeliever sees things more clearly than believers.) It's worth reading these together.
8. Don't Call it a Comeback by Kevin De Young, et. al. - Almost a mini-course in systematic theology plus social issues facing believers today. Great resource for any age but particularly for younger believers.
7. Living for God's Glory, An Introduction to Calvinism by Joel R. Beeke - More than just the 5 points. Beeke starts with the foundation of God's glory and shows how this defines our doctrine, the church, and our lives.
6. The Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson - While repentance is not salvific in and of itself, it's a necessary part of our salvation and ongoing walk with the Lord. This Puritan work is worth reading today as we are so accustomed to grace that repentance may be consider a mere token.
5. The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God by D.A. Carson - Too often God's love becomes a "one size fits all", but intertrinitarian love is not the same as God's love for the elect nor mankind/creation in general. This misapplication of God's love can happen at the expense of His holiness and lead to error (i.e. universalism). Carson covers the different aspects of God's love concisely and clearly.
4. From Forgiven to Forgiving by Jay Adams - What I would consider a biblical, non-therapeutic view similar to Chris Brauns' Unpacking Forgiveness. Forgiveness is not a solo, self-therapeutic act (a la Lewis Smedes), but necessitates repentance from one party to the other so the transaction of forgiveness can occur. I found this very helpful given personal circumstances. Thanks to Trisha for the recommendation.
3. Knowing Scripture by R.C. Sproul - A classic on basic hermeneutic principles. I had purchased this in college decades ago. I'm finally reading it and wish I had read it sooner. This should be on every believer's shelf.
1. The World Tilting Gospel by Dan Phillips - This is the best book I've read this year. It's one of those "Where have you been all my life?" sort of books. It's a meaty, scripture-packed, doctrinally rich exposition of the gospel and its life-transforming effects. At the same time, it's very readable without any dumbing down. It's been recommended by an 8 year old to an 88 year old, by pastors, and your average Joe and Josephine Christian. Definitely a must read and one I will be rereading.

Great list, Persis. I've read some of them. I may have to read the Beeke book; it sounds good. And I agree about Dan's book. Was in my top three.
ReplyDeleteGreat books! I totally agree about The World Tilting Gospel, its one of the best books I've read in a long time.
ReplyDeleteYour list is just in time for our annual "books to be read this next year" session tomorrow night. Thank you, friend!
ReplyDeleteGreat list! Great idea. May I "borrow" this idea and use it in my blog?
ReplyDelete@Kim: I think you will like the Beeke book.
ReplyDelete@Gregg: By all means.
What a list! I see many titles I want to read. The World Tilting Gospel is everywhere! I have the Kindle version and evidently I need to read it and soon.
ReplyDeleteAdding many of these to my list. Mind if I pop over & borrow some of them ;-)
ReplyDelete@Melissa: You are more than welcome to borrow any books. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Persis. Glory to God.
ReplyDeleteLisa: "The World Tilting Gospel is everywhere!" I wish!
(c: