(God willing, I will continue with the Heidelberg catechism next week, but my heart is so full from the the conference on missions. These are Mary Ann Paton's last words, wife of John G. Paton.)
"You must not think I regret coming here, and leaving my mother. If I had the same thing to do over again, I would do it with far more pleasure, yes, with all my heart. Oh, no! I do not regret leaving home and friends, though at the time I felt it keenly."
Soon after this, looking up and putting her hand in mine, she said, -
"J.C. wrote to our Janet saying, that young Christians under their first impressions thought they could do anything or make any sacrifice for Jesus, and he asked if she believed it, for he did not think they could, when tested; but Janet wrote back that she believed they could, and" (added she with great emphasis)
"I believe it is true!"
In a moment, altogether unexpectedly, she fell asleep in Jesus, with these words on her lips. "Not lost, only gone before to be forever with the Lord" - my heart keeps saying and singing to itself from that hour till now.
Ever since the day of our happy marriage, a strange presentiment possessed my heart, that I should lose her soon and suddenly. Perhaps I am not the first who has wrestled through such unworthy forebodings - that that which was so precious and blessed was about to be withdrawn! Our short united life had been cloudless and happy; I felt her loss beyond all conception or description in that dark land. It was very difficult to be resigned, left alone, and in sorrowful circumstances; but feeling immovable assured that God my Father was too wise and loving to err in anything that He does or permits, I looked up to the Lord for help, and struggled on in His work. I do not pretend to see through the mystery of such visitations, - wherein God calls away the young, the promising, and those sorely needed for His service here; but this I do now and feel, that, in the light of such dispensations, it becomes us all to love and serve our blessed Lord Jesus so that we may be ready at His call for death and Eternity.
John G. Paton, Missionary to the New Hebrides, Banner of Truth, 2007 reprint, pg. 84-85.
Paton's biography is one of the best biographies I've ever read, it is an absolutely amazing book.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great read, I need to get this one. Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDelete@Gregg:
ReplyDeleteThis books is available to read online as well as download here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28025