Skip to main content

What's good for the ministerial goose

One of my pet peeves is the notion that Christian women should only read books written by other Christian women on women's topics. I don't think I'm imagining this, am I? While I'm not discounting the value of application-oriented books or women authors, I take issue with the idea that theology and doctrine are dull, dry, ego-bloating, and impractical. Therefore, "don't trouble your pretty little head about such things".  I don't think anything can be further from the truth. Plus this idea about boring theology is also inflicted on men in this anti-intellectual age, minus the "pretty" part, of course.

In Sunday's sermon, one of the takeaway points was how we need to go deep in our understanding of God and not merely stay on a temporal plane. As examples, the pastor mentioned a group of young men in their 20's who have studied Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul and are now tackling a book by Wayne Grudem on doctrine. He also mentioned a sister in the church who is reading through Grudem's Systematic Theology chapter by chapter. Yup, the entire thing.

Hearing this made me want to stand up and cheer. Knowing these saints, I don't see any ego-bloating but a genuine hunger to know God for Himself, which is something we should all desire regardless of our gender.
Here again, there is a case for saying what is good for the ministerial goose is good for the congregational gander. Are not all Christians theologians? Do not all speak of God at some level? There is a need, then, for all to be schooled in the rudiments of systematic theology We should remember how catechizing has functioned in church history. We may smile at it today as being somewhat old-fashioned and quaint, but it did aim to give children and older church members a sound grasp of the full sweep of biblical teaching... [W]e should still be seeking for ways of achieving the catechetical aims which our forebears had in terms of educating for basic biblical and theological literacy. The more theology our people know, the more they will appreciate the value of the Bible and the more theology they will be able to find there.
Reformation: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow by Carl Trueman, Christian Focus Publications, 2011, pp. 93-94.  (emphasis mine)

Comments

  1. I enjoy reading books about God and theology too, but I also don't think home-making/wife/Christian women books should be void of these things at all. What we believe about God and theology shapes all we do in life. There's been quite a few books I've read on Christian women topics from authors like Nancy Wilson that have given me much to think about as I seek to know God and His Word deeper.

    That's a great quote from Trueman. As we have been working on catechizing our girls I've been amazed by the amount of deep truth that is in each question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote this, I was mentally skimming through the typical women's books offered in the CBD catalog. Not the best sample but probably what is most popular.

      Unfortunately, we are in a rabidly anti-intellectual age that discounts thinking deeply about anything unless it has immediate personal payback. Hence, doctrine gets short shrift because we've lost the connection, like you've said, between theology and how we live. Plus wanting to know God for His own sake should be enough motivation even though that knowledge will affect us in the long run.

      Delete
    2. Very true!

      Totally get the comment, especially in conjunction with looking at that catalog! It's very sad how unpopular theology is among women.

      Delete
  2. I have that Trueman book in my TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.