Skip to main content

One soul at a time

When I was standing in line to vote, I noticed the folks who were waiting with me. These were my neighbors, the people in my community. As I saw their faces, I was convicted by how little I pray and share the gospel. Yes, I was using God-given means to choose politicians and laws with the best worldview, but the only permanent change that can come to this city and this nation is through a fundamental change of heart.

This article at RedState sums up the problem well:
At the end of the day, nothing will change our nation but repentance from sin.
No political victory or law passed will do it.
If I'm honest, I'm disappointed by the outcome of the election and don't want to minimize the ramifications. But God is still God. I don't want to be disappointed in Him or the Gospel, which is the power of God unto salvation. He isn't bound by the political landscape. Just look at the early church under Roman rule.

So I'm praying:

For repentance for my own heart, my city, and my country. Too often we think of huge revivals where thousands come to Christ, but we shouldn't despise the day of small things. Salvation comes to one soul at a time.

Ways to be a neighbor to my neighbors for the sake of the gospel. I'm an introvert and a chicken when it comes to talking to people. May God overcome my natural reticence and give me a love for the lost.

The Mercy Ministry House. This is a great opportunity to reach our community by offering a cup of cold water in Jesus' name and sharing the good news. Not a huge venture but, again, one soul at a time.

For believers to realize where our citizenship lies. We have hope beyond this country, beyond our system of government, beyond this life. But so many do not. Do we care about those souls?

Increased faith in God. He didn't abdicate His throne yesterday or the last 4 years, and He won't during the next 4 years. Oh for grace to trust Him more!

Comments

  1. Persis...this is excellent and a blessing to my soul. How very true are your words. May we be busy about our Father's work and share the Good News with our neighbors that their hearts may be changed. Thank you for this wonderful post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Persis! Amen and amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent post, Persis! I, too, am too introverted and reticent. I actually read a book while I was standing in line yesterday. Shame on me! I should've been sharing the Gospel, for it's only in the Gospel that REAL change & hope are found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article, Persis. "One soul at a time" .... that's the REAL ground roots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, sisters and Brother Gregg. I'm thankful that God uses all things to awaken us to what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I completely agree! The only way our country can experience real change is if people change on a fundamental level--a heart level. Hearts need to change, and usually the only way that can be done is through personal interaction over time.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree! For me this great disappointment comes with great anticipation because I believe God will use this to wake up His remnant and refine His people. And I wouldn't be surprised we start experiencing true persecution in the future. Evangelism seems to be starting to come back into fashion again - our church is really pushing it now. This is good because it's where we need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps most of us such an unrealistic view of evangelism that we neglect to start with a neighbor or the person who might dispense a morning coffee. God uses most of us to reach one soul at a time, over time. Convicting post, Persis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.