Skip to main content

Spiritual nourishment

Yesterday's sermon by Pastor Ryan was on Mark 14:12-26, the last supper.  There was much to consider, but this point stood out to me: We receive spiritual nourishment when we partake of the Lord's table. We don't believe in transubstantiation, but we are declaring that our souls need Jesus as our bodies need food. Without Him, we will starve.

So I ask myself, how's my appetite?

This led me to Jeremiah 2:13 where God confronts his people for forsaking the water of life and making broken cisterns that can hold no water. Do I do this? Yes and probably until the day I'm with the Lord, there will be the temptation to find my sustenance from another source.

But I also believe in the sanctifying power of God's grace. He ordains circumstances in our lives to expose the things that would slowly starve us to death. We are awakened to our hunger, and in turn He "satisfies our mouth with good things" (Ps. 103:5 KJV).  Once we've tasted the sweetness of Christ, the world's menu begins to lose it's appeal.

This sermon reminded me of this old hymn.  I love these words.  You could apply them to someone who has just come to Christ, but I think we're learning them every step along the pilgrim road until we reach glory.


O Christ, in Thee my soul hath found,
And found in Thee alone,
The peace, the joy I sought so long,
The bliss till now unknown.

Refrain:
Now none but Christ can satisfy,
None other Name for me!
There’s love, and life, and lasting joy,
Lord Jesus, found in Thee.

I sighed for rest and happiness,
I yearned for them, not Thee;
But, while I passed my Savior by,
His love laid hold on me.

I tried the broken cisterns, Lord,
But, ah, the waters failed;
E'en as I stooped to drink they fled,
And mocked me as I wailed.

The pleasures lost I sadly mourned,
But never wept for Thee,
Till grace the sightless eyes received,
Thy loveliness to see.

James McGranahan (1840-1907)

Comments

  1. What a beautiful hymn. I am so thankful for our gracious God who is patiently waiting, ready to quench the thirst that only He can satisfy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.