I am beloved of the Lord, if, having his love in my heart, I show it by loving those he has loved. Some people may say, "I love you, but I do not love those about you, your friends;" you are not bound to love all alike but it may teach you to be civil to that person's beloved. As soon as ever we hear of a Christian, as soon as ever we hear of a believer, as soon as ever we hear of a sinner turning to God, we should rejoice and be like the angels in heaven who rejoice over one sinner's repentance. Some people may say, "I love dearly to hear of persons being converted by such a minister; I love dearly to hear of persons being converted by a dissenter; I love dearly to hear of persons being converted by a churchman, but I do not like people should be converted by this and that person." I believe there are a great many people whose hearts are thus narrow, but this mixture is not of God. And I pray God they may know it by experience; that they may know they are beloved of God, then they will rejoice when other people are brought to believe on him, whoever is made the instrument. Grace and mercy are with all who love the Lord Jesus in sincerity. What would have become of poor Paul if he had only loved his own followers: the Romans he never saw till he was taken there a prisoner, but he loved all the rest of the apostles, wrote letters to all sorts, not to their particular parties or churches, but to all who truly loved the Lord Jesus. If we love in this manner we may be assured that we are the beloved of the Lord for none but the Lord could beget such love in us.
George Whitefield Daily Readings, Randall J. Pederson, ed., Christian Focus Publications, 2010, August 17 reading.
George Whitefield Daily Readings, Randall J. Pederson, ed., Christian Focus Publications, 2010, August 17 reading.
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.