Skip to main content

A child of the Enlightenment?

I am continuing to read The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind in bits and pieces when I get the chance. Every time I pick it up my assumptions are challenged. According to Mark Noll, the Enlightenment had a huge impact upon our country but not just in the secular sphere. American Christianity embraced it as well, which leads me to ask:

- Is our propensity toward biblicism less biblical and more a product of the Enlightenment? 
- Does biblicism afflict the American culture more than other countries because of our history?
- Is our study of the Bible also influenced by this? Are we taking Enlightenment principles of studying the material world and applying it to the Word of God? Is this good or bad? What are the implications?

This may not seem practical, but I want to know why I think the way I do and where it came from. Am I child of the Enlightenment (I think the answer is "yes") and to what degree? Just because I am a Christian does not automatically mean that my thought process is biblical and not heavily influenced by the culture. Do you see any similarities between the following that was published in 1994 and today? I do.

Evangelical adoption of the didactic Enlightenment was one of the measures that made evangelical Protestantism so dynamically powerful in the early history of the United States... 
The main problems was that so much of the Christianized version of the Enlightenment depended on assumptions, and thus so little actual thought went into developing the philosophical, psychological, and ethical implications of these views. All was well as long as Christian energies guided the nation. But once those energies were frustrated by the new social conditions after the Civil War, once they were challenged by new ideas from Europe that also penetrated American life increasingly after that same conflict, there was very little intellectual strength to meet the new challenges...
When Christians turned to their intellectual resources for dealing with these matters, they found that the cupboard was nearly bare. Scripture, they believed, still had the answers to all of life's problems - but what were they? Who had been spending time thinking about these kinds of social and intellectual problems? Who had been devoting the energy to these issues that had been devoted to evangelism? The sad answer is that almost no one had been engaged in such a process of consistent Christian thinking...
Evangelicals throughout the nineteenth century had not worked very self-consciously at thinking about the best ways, consistent with the Bible itself, to push thinking from the Scripture to modern situations and back again. That is, habits of patient study were far less well exercised than habits of quick quotation. Proof-texting did not cause great damage so long as the culture as a whole held to general Christian values, but when those general Christian values began to weaken, the weakness in evangelical theologizing - even more, in thinking like a Christian about the world in general - became all too evident.
The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind, Mark Noll, Eerdmans, 1994, pp. 105-107. (italics mine)

Comments