Skip to main content

Don't judge a book by its cover

Look inside, examine it against the Bible (just cited verses don't count), and then see whether it is worth reading or not.

Many Christians do not distinguish between a likable personality and the content of that person's teaching...
A vital skill for becoming a competent woman is learning how to read well.  We need to be alert and equipped, because Christian bookstores don't have genre labels like "fluff" and "I may look like I have my life together more than you, but I am about to wreck your theology."
You would be troubled to hear that women in your congregation were uncritically going on dates with random guys they had met, wouldn't you? What would you do in that situation? You would want to spend some time helping them distinguish between attractive traits and harmful ones. This is what we want to do with the books they are reading as well.

No Little Women: Equipping All Women in the Household of God, Aimee Byrd, P&R Publishing, 2016, pp. 48-49.

Comments