I am thankful for:
God's protection. I was working at my computer Monday afternoon and heard a strange sound in the backyard. I looked out the window and saw this. The tree from which this branch fell is one of three sweet gums right next to the house. When I looked up, I could see where the branch snapped off. It must have come straight down but the weight tipped it away. This is at least the 4th time that branches have come down near the house but not on it.
God's preservation of his Word and the work of Bible translation. I had a chance to visit the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC with friends from church this week. There's so much to see in the museum that I need to go back. Five hours wasn't enough. One gallery was devoted to the history of the Bible in terms of its physical preservation, propagation, translation, and publishing to the present day. It was fascinating to see the manuscripts in ancient languages from ancient cultures and how the Bible had spread beyond the Middle East. I never knew that the Armenian and Georgian written languages were developed for the purpose of having a written Bible. My daughter drew my attention to a copy of the Gospel of Matthew translated in 1854 in one of the dialects from my dad's home province in China.
There were multiple copies of entire Bibles, New Testaments, and individual books translated into languages I never heard of. However, there are still many more languages to go.
At the end of this particular exhibit, there were floor to ceiling bookshelves with books that were color-coded to indicate whether the Bible had been translated into that language, the New Testament only, translation begun, or no translation at all. The last category had the most "books" - no translation at all. Seeing the number of languages with no Bible made me thankful for people like Peter and Betty Green who have labored for years to translate the New Testament for a people group in the Philippines. Lord willing, it will be completed by the end of this year.
All flesh is like grass, and all its glory like the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls off, but the Word of the Lord endures forever... 1 Peter 1:24-25 (NASB)
God's protection. I was working at my computer Monday afternoon and heard a strange sound in the backyard. I looked out the window and saw this. The tree from which this branch fell is one of three sweet gums right next to the house. When I looked up, I could see where the branch snapped off. It must have come straight down but the weight tipped it away. This is at least the 4th time that branches have come down near the house but not on it.
God's preservation of his Word and the work of Bible translation. I had a chance to visit the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC with friends from church this week. There's so much to see in the museum that I need to go back. Five hours wasn't enough. One gallery was devoted to the history of the Bible in terms of its physical preservation, propagation, translation, and publishing to the present day. It was fascinating to see the manuscripts in ancient languages from ancient cultures and how the Bible had spread beyond the Middle East. I never knew that the Armenian and Georgian written languages were developed for the purpose of having a written Bible. My daughter drew my attention to a copy of the Gospel of Matthew translated in 1854 in one of the dialects from my dad's home province in China.
There were multiple copies of entire Bibles, New Testaments, and individual books translated into languages I never heard of. However, there are still many more languages to go.
At the end of this particular exhibit, there were floor to ceiling bookshelves with books that were color-coded to indicate whether the Bible had been translated into that language, the New Testament only, translation begun, or no translation at all. The last category had the most "books" - no translation at all. Seeing the number of languages with no Bible made me thankful for people like Peter and Betty Green who have labored for years to translate the New Testament for a people group in the Philippines. Lord willing, it will be completed by the end of this year.



Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.