Last night, Pastor Charles Taylor finished the race. He fell asleep on earth and awoke in the presence of the Lord.
I'll never forget the first sermon I heard him preach on the last Sunday in 2007. He spoke on Isaiah's vision of the Lord from Isaiah 6. I didn't know how starved I was for God's word until then. After that one sermon, we knew we found our church home.
It was a privilege to have Pastor Taylor baptize my daughter. She wanted to be baptized previously, but we weren't in fellowship with a local church. We considered other options including having a brother from out of town baptize her in the James River, but I'm glad we waited. There were problems with the baptistry, so Charlie worked on it himself so she could be baptized. We weren't members at the time, but his view was that the church should do all it could to further a believer in his/her walk with the Lord, member and nonmember alike.
Pastor Taylor faithfully shared the word Sunday after Sunday as interim pastor at Grace, refusing any financial compensation. Even though he was offered the position as the pastor, he declined and was instrumental in bringing our current pastor to the church.
There were quite a few tears shed this morning, but we don't grieve as those without hope. Every verse read today, every word Pastor Ryan spoke as we celebrated the Lord's table is true. Because of what Jesus has done, we have no fear in life or in death. We have been redeemed, brought near to God, and we will be with Him forever.
We know this by faith. Now Charlie knows this by sight.
I'll never forget the first sermon I heard him preach on the last Sunday in 2007. He spoke on Isaiah's vision of the Lord from Isaiah 6. I didn't know how starved I was for God's word until then. After that one sermon, we knew we found our church home.
It was a privilege to have Pastor Taylor baptize my daughter. She wanted to be baptized previously, but we weren't in fellowship with a local church. We considered other options including having a brother from out of town baptize her in the James River, but I'm glad we waited. There were problems with the baptistry, so Charlie worked on it himself so she could be baptized. We weren't members at the time, but his view was that the church should do all it could to further a believer in his/her walk with the Lord, member and nonmember alike.
Pastor Taylor faithfully shared the word Sunday after Sunday as interim pastor at Grace, refusing any financial compensation. Even though he was offered the position as the pastor, he declined and was instrumental in bringing our current pastor to the church.
There were quite a few tears shed this morning, but we don't grieve as those without hope. Every verse read today, every word Pastor Ryan spoke as we celebrated the Lord's table is true. Because of what Jesus has done, we have no fear in life or in death. We have been redeemed, brought near to God, and we will be with Him forever.
We know this by faith. Now Charlie knows this by sight.
Persis and Lydia,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dear pastor and friend. We also said goodbye yesterday to a dear saint from our congregation. How blessed it is to know that these partings are temporary and that we will one day rejoice with them in our eternal home.
With love,
I'm sorry about your loss Persis. I'll remember his church family and his family in my prayers.
ReplyDeletePersis and Lydia,
ReplyDeleteMay God's peace be your comfort during this hard time. Your Church family is in our family prayers tonight.
Under His shadow,
So sorry about the loss you and the church body are feeling. My prayers are with you. Beautiful reflection of your sure faith! God bless!
ReplyDeleteWhat sweet glory for Pastor Taylor-just knowing and sitting under such a faithful man of God is such a privilege, Persis. Tears here-but such a welcome in Heaven. I am pretty psyched to get there myself someday soon!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful truths you have shared-thank you!
So sorry about your loss of this dear man, Persis. Oh, how true it is that we don't grieve as the world does though! I praise God for the gift of faith and thank God with you for the life of His servant Charlie.
ReplyDeleteThe guy was lucky.
ReplyDeleteThat we all might just lie down one night and pass peacefully.
God bless.
What a great tribute you wrote Persis. I, too, am sorry for your loss. What a great thing it is to finish well. My hope and prayer is to finish equally as well this race that is set before us.
ReplyDelete