I've mentioned before that we left a church and stayed out of fellowship for a number of years. It's been more than a decade, but I had some nagging questions and recently got some answers.The more I learned about the past, the more I realized how much we practically set aside the Word of God. Sole adherence to the scriptures would have been vehemently affirmed, but when problems arose, maintaining the status quo, expediency, and man's opinion were the deciding factors.
I wasn't making up the statement about God not caring about our repentance in my last post. I heard it from the pulpit. I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it, because I had no clue how to be a Berean. In a discussion group following that particular talk, I saw people twist their brains into all sorts of mental contortions to somehow make that statement jive with scripture. But sadly, those in authority were never to be questioned on any account, let alone things spoken from the pulpit. If there was a problem, it had to be the hearers, so the norm was to nod your head like a bobble head and stick with the program.
I'm not advocating arrogant doubt, but if man's words take precedent over the Word of God, we're on a very slippery slope on which many have fallen. How many errors would be nipped in the bud if we would search the scriptures to see if these things were so? How much heartache would we be spared if scripture's authority was not a mere token but a reality for our lives, individually and together?
From J.C. Ryle:
It matters nothing who says a thing in religion, whether an ancient father, or a modern Bishop, or a learned divine. Is it in the Bible? Can it be proved by the Bible? If not, it is not to be believed. It matters nothing how beautiful and clever sermons or religious books may appear. Are they in the smallest degree contrary to Scripture? If they are, they are rubbish and poison, and guides of no value. What says the Scripture? This is the only rule, measure, and gauge of religious truth. “To the law and to the testimony,” says Isaiah, “if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” (Isaiah 8:20)
I wasn't making up the statement about God not caring about our repentance in my last post. I heard it from the pulpit. I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it, because I had no clue how to be a Berean. In a discussion group following that particular talk, I saw people twist their brains into all sorts of mental contortions to somehow make that statement jive with scripture. But sadly, those in authority were never to be questioned on any account, let alone things spoken from the pulpit. If there was a problem, it had to be the hearers, so the norm was to nod your head like a bobble head and stick with the program.
I'm not advocating arrogant doubt, but if man's words take precedent over the Word of God, we're on a very slippery slope on which many have fallen. How many errors would be nipped in the bud if we would search the scriptures to see if these things were so? How much heartache would we be spared if scripture's authority was not a mere token but a reality for our lives, individually and together?
From J.C. Ryle:
It matters nothing who says a thing in religion, whether an ancient father, or a modern Bishop, or a learned divine. Is it in the Bible? Can it be proved by the Bible? If not, it is not to be believed. It matters nothing how beautiful and clever sermons or religious books may appear. Are they in the smallest degree contrary to Scripture? If they are, they are rubbish and poison, and guides of no value. What says the Scripture? This is the only rule, measure, and gauge of religious truth. “To the law and to the testimony,” says Isaiah, “if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” (Isaiah 8:20)
Thanks for sharing this quote. Sadly, it's becoming the norm for people to believe it because some rock-star pastor wrote or spoke it. They never even think to make sure it's Scriptural.
ReplyDeletePersis, were we in the same place? Well, I know we weren't but how familiar your words rang, as if we had been sitting in some of the same classes. I thank God for rescuing us! But, I can't help to also thank Him for allowing me to be so grossly deceived, for crushing me beneath its weight and shame and to see my state of affairs from a worm's perspective. I hope to have learned well how to be like a Berean and how to show the patience, grace and mercy that was extended to me when I had least deserved it!
ReplyDeleteThank yo for this awesome post and quote, Persis.
Preach it, Persis. :) Love the J.C. Ryle quote.
ReplyDeleteHear, hear!
ReplyDeletePersis -- you are so dead on with your assessment.
ReplyDeleteWherever there is a low view of right teaching and sound doctrine we can expect to find all kind of abuses.
I'm certain that if you and I were to sit and exchange war stories (and I don't take the word "war" lightly) we would find so many parallels. Yet, I'm most thankful for the common experience that we share of being delivered from error to truth. Thanking Jesus with you AND FOR you!
Thanks, everyone.
ReplyDeletePerhaps in God's sovereignty, He allowed some of us to go thru times of spiritual confusion/deception so we would learn to appreciate His word and His mercy in rescuing us.
Petra, I agree with you. I don't deserve it either.
Persis,
ReplyDeleteI think it's very true that many of us would rather rely on the words of man than dig into the Word ourselves. Your call to be a Berean is so important. What a blessing that you've seen that side and can especially teach your dear daughter the importance of knowing what God's Word says and living it.
Persis
ReplyDeleteI know there are good churches out there that do preach the whole counsel of God but there are so many that do not. People don't even bring bibles to church anymore they just rely on the scripture posted on a overhead. I believe we are living in a time where we must be Bereans, we must test what we hear from the pulpit with what scripture teaches.
Too many churches seem to be more interested in numbers, making people feel comfortable, being nonoffensive. Great post