and nowadays the fingers ...
In the sermon on James 3:1-12, Pastor Ryan stated that although the Internet wasn't alive in James' day, electronic communication isn't exempt from the charge to bridle our tongues. Therefore, we should consider well what we "say" even if it isn't with our mouths.
Tweeting, Facebook, blogging, etc. are all venues which have elevated the volume of idle words to new heights. Don't get me wrong. I think these forms of media can and have been used for the glory of God. But it's a lot easier to fire off an electronic missive without a second thought or taking the time to consider its impact.
One could say, "It's my blog, so I can say what ever I want." But just because I have a pulse and an electronic soapbox doesn't necessarily mean that my opinion is beneficial. I'm not advocating milk-soppishness and politically correct "niceness" when it comes to robust declaration of the truth or defense of the faith, but I've realized that many of my reactions are better kept to myself. I've had less time to blog which has been good in this regard as it has kept some reactionary posts sitting on the back burner until I have had a chance to calm down, think, pray, and more often than not delete the post.
So as part of heeding James 3:1-12, think twice before opening my mouth and think twice before clicking "publish post".
In the sermon on James 3:1-12, Pastor Ryan stated that although the Internet wasn't alive in James' day, electronic communication isn't exempt from the charge to bridle our tongues. Therefore, we should consider well what we "say" even if it isn't with our mouths.
Tweeting, Facebook, blogging, etc. are all venues which have elevated the volume of idle words to new heights. Don't get me wrong. I think these forms of media can and have been used for the glory of God. But it's a lot easier to fire off an electronic missive without a second thought or taking the time to consider its impact.
One could say, "It's my blog, so I can say what ever I want." But just because I have a pulse and an electronic soapbox doesn't necessarily mean that my opinion is beneficial. I'm not advocating milk-soppishness and politically correct "niceness" when it comes to robust declaration of the truth or defense of the faith, but I've realized that many of my reactions are better kept to myself. I've had less time to blog which has been good in this regard as it has kept some reactionary posts sitting on the back burner until I have had a chance to calm down, think, pray, and more often than not delete the post.
So as part of heeding James 3:1-12, think twice before opening my mouth and think twice before clicking "publish post".

Boy, is that ever true ... so easy to just fire off a quick emotional statement and then regret it within minutes.
ReplyDeleteHow true this is. It's difficult to convey emotion so this makes it difficult to "write" the truth in love.
ReplyDeleteAmen! I couldn't have said it any better, Persis!
ReplyDeleteWise words, my friend. Thank you for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteI love the poster!
ReplyDeletevenues which have elevated the volume of idle words to new heights
True, true.
Good words Persis! "every idle word"...and that goes for those typed. yikes!
ReplyDelete