I had an encounter with a Jehovah's Witness this morning. I had seen them in the neighborhood earlier, so I knew it was a matter of time before the doorbell rang. I even had a tract ready to give them in exchange for their Watchtower Magazine.
I was up front about what I believed, especially the trinity. The gentleman honestly admitted they do not believe in the trinity and became a tad more insistent once he knew where I stood. He also put his magazine away, figuring I wouldn't be swayed, and refused to take the tract.
After a few minutes, neither of us were getting anywhere. I ended the conversation by politely telling him he wouldn't be able to convince me otherwise. We'll see if our address gets taken off their list in the future. Either way, I need to do some homework and be better prepared the next time.
I was up front about what I believed, especially the trinity. The gentleman honestly admitted they do not believe in the trinity and became a tad more insistent once he knew where I stood. He also put his magazine away, figuring I wouldn't be swayed, and refused to take the tract.
After a few minutes, neither of us were getting anywhere. I ended the conversation by politely telling him he wouldn't be able to convince me otherwise. We'll see if our address gets taken off their list in the future. Either way, I need to do some homework and be better prepared the next time.
I always thank them kindly (in regards to the tract) but tell them that, no, I will not read it...and since I will not read it, I do not want to take it, because I know it costs them in terms of cost of printing, etc. Then we begin talking. I go directly to the heart of the matter...that as a Christian my view of the Biblical Christ is much different than their own. I begin laying that out, using scripture. Eventually they recognize that my view will not change and they leave. But through it all I always treat them kindly and with dignity. Who knows... perhaps our conversation will trigger them to begin reading questioningly, rather than rotely according to their training.
ReplyDeletePersis, the back of your ESV study bible gives some really great information about many of the world religions and cults. I had an encounter like this once in the Walmart parking lot. Makes you realize the need for good doctrine and how to accurately express it to a lost world.
ReplyDelete@Christie: It must be the ESV study bible because I just checked mine. I guess this gives me another good reason to get that bible. :)
ReplyDeleteJust checked monergism.com where they have several good links on JW.
We had some here a couple of times several years ago. My hubby's grandfather used to live here and would always invite them in and talk to them. He was so nice to everyone.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if you handled it very well.
Forgive me for not following up on my blog (earlier this year) with further advice based on my own experiences with JWs. I will remedy that, soon. (And believe me, I know what it is like to be caught unprepared.)
ReplyDeleteHere is one thing you might try. Exploit the fact that they have no assurance of their salvation ("being in the Kingdom" after this life). I keep a piece of paper between the pages of my bible with a list of references of "assurance" passages. Show them from the Scriptures what you base your own assurance on.
Remember that the precious souls who come to your door are under tremendous pressure from the leaders to "maintain their standing" in the organization. Our standing is based solely on what Jesus Christ did for us.
Craig
Read some James White. That helps me.
ReplyDelete@Craig:
ReplyDeleteI've been praying for the couple that came to my door. Given this man's response, I had a feeling that they were well indoctrinated in their response and reaction. Thanks for the tip about eternal assurance. Without the true gospel, it has to some form of earned standing.
@Meghan: James White is on my list to check. Thanks.
My grandad used to invite the JW's into his house when they came aknockin' at his door... and after about five minutes inside, they were trying to get out. He was ready for 'em every time. :)
ReplyDeletePersis,
ReplyDeleteI once had a man come to the door (and the ones in my area ALWAYS bring little children with them..), and he was so indignant when I told him what I thought of his beliefs that I had to remind him who came to whose door.
I used to try to "win the arguments" with them. Now I want to direct them to Christ and the true gospel.
ReplyDeleteCraig
Oh man Persis, they came to our pastor's house the other day and got a lot more than they bargained for with both our pastor and his wife taking them all through the Scriptures.
ReplyDeleteWhen they left our pastor told them to not visit any of his neighbors!
But good news! A sweet sister @ church was recently baptised who just came out of years in the JW's. God will get His own where ever they may be!