Skip to main content

Review - A Hope Deferred: Adoption and the Fatherhood of God

A Hope Deferred: Adoption and the Fatherhood of God by J. Stephen Yuille, Shepherd Press, October 2013, 146 pages.

As believers, we know that God has cleansed us of our sins in Christ, but have we realized all the blessings of being made children of God? In A Hope Deferred: Adoption and the Fatherhood of God. author J. Stephen Yuille unpacks the doctrine of adoption by walking the reader through Romans 8.

The particular blessings of adoption are:

  • Cleansed Sins
  • Renewed Affections
  • Satisfied Longings
  • Answered Prayers
  • Sanctified Afflictions
  • Defeated Enemies

These are discussed in the odd-numbered chapters. In the even chapters, Yuille tells his family's story - a story of the pain of infertility, the blessing of a child, the sorrow of miscarriage, and the long wait for the adoption of their daughter from China. This alternating between doctrine and testimony works well because theology is brought down to earth in their trials.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was encouraged in the gospel by the specific aspects of our spiritual adoption as clearly explained from the Scriptures. I am also a Puritan fan and was pleased to read the numerous quotes from these elder statesmen in the faith. Pastor Yuille's writing has almost a Puritan flavor to it as well. I was also moved by the personal side of A Hope Deferred. It was not overly sentimental or dramatic but a window into his family as they leaned hard on Christ in their affliction.

Even if adoption has not played a role in your life, you will be encouraged by meditating on and marveling at your adoption by your heavenly Father.  I highly recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book from Shepherd Press via Cross Focused Reviews. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Comments