When the Doctrines of Grace found me, life was never the same. But in my enthusiasm for my new-found theology, I became a cage-stage Calvinist. I may not have been foaming at the mouth, but I was pushy and less than respectful toward believers who differed from me. Thankfully, the symptoms have subsided, but it's ironic that I was proud of being doctrinally "right" while affirming that it was all of grace.
I also wonder if "cage-staginess" transfers to other Christian doctrines? The following is quote from Timothy George regarding the gender battles that have been raging in the church. I think his words are worth considering:
From "Egalitarians and Complementarians Together? A Modest Proposal, " pgs. 266-88 in Women, Ministry, and the Gospel, InterVarsity, 2007. Dr. George attributes these questions to Roger Nicole's essay "Polemic Theology: How to Deal with Those Who Differ from Us."
This is quoted in Neither Complementarian Nor Egalitarian, Michelle Lee-Barnewall, Baker Academic, 2016, pg. 4.
I also wonder if "cage-staginess" transfers to other Christian doctrines? The following is quote from Timothy George regarding the gender battles that have been raging in the church. I think his words are worth considering:
1. "What do I owe to the person who differs from me?" While we are not obligated to agree with that person, we do owe him or her love. As a result, we are to be good listeners, seeking to understand the person's aims and asking whether there is anything valid in his or her position.
2. "What can I learn from those who differ from me?" In recognition of his or her own fallibility, each interpreter should be prepared to learn that he or she is wrong and the other person is right. Seeking after truth is more important than winning discussions or protecting reputation.
3. "How can I cope with those who differ from me?" We must remember that we are brothers and sisters in Christ. Consequently, our goal is not to demolish our opponent but rather "to win him or her over to a new and, we trust, better understanding."
From "Egalitarians and Complementarians Together? A Modest Proposal, " pgs. 266-88 in Women, Ministry, and the Gospel, InterVarsity, 2007. Dr. George attributes these questions to Roger Nicole's essay "Polemic Theology: How to Deal with Those Who Differ from Us."
This is quoted in Neither Complementarian Nor Egalitarian, Michelle Lee-Barnewall, Baker Academic, 2016, pg. 4.
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.