“This do in remembrance of Me.” Luke 22:19.
I am never happier than when I am in your midst, my beloved brethren, and we all sit around the table, because I think of all the Lord has done for you and for me. Why, it is not worth while going to heaven alone. A little lost child sits down on the doorstep of a West end mansion and cries because it is so lonely; is that to be our position in heaven? Are we to take no friends there with us? Who wants to be solitary in the New Jerusalem? But oh, to come with all of you to the table, and to look into the faces of all God’s people, and to believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is in each one of them! They are a poor lot, full of mistakes, full of errors, full of infirmities, just like their minister, but the Lord has loved them, and bought them with His blood. A precious Christ He is, not only to have saved me but tens of thousands of His saints everywhere, for there are people of His in all churches, even in the churches that are most full of error. He has redeemed by His precious blood His own elect in the midst of them all. Why, the sight of you helps me to recollect Jesus, and to get a better idea of Him—both your Christ, and my Christ, and not our Christ alone, but the Christ of all the myriads redeemed by His blood. Shall I then set myself up for a judge, and say, “No, I will not remember my Lord, because one of the brethren does not behave properly”? What would you say to your child if he said, “Father, I shall not come to see you on your birthday; I shall not join with the rest of the family in the usual festival”? Why not? “Because my brother is not what he ought to be, and till he mends his ways, I shall not keep your birthday.” Your father would say, “My dear son, is that any reason why you should not remember me? Surely I am not to blame for what your brother does. Come to the feast and think of me.” So do I say to you if you have any personal angers and differences, do not smother them but end them. Do not come to the table till you have got rid of them, for you have no right to come, but end all wrath at once. Get rid of every ugly feeling you have towards everybody in the world, and love all believers in Christ for Christ’s sake, and then come to this table, and you will find it will help you to remember your Master as you shall join with others who remember Him. I think I may say that you will not be likely to see anybody at the table worse than yourself. So come along, and let not pride keep you back. May God’s infinite mercy bless the Lord’s Supper to the Lord’s people!
The Lord's Supper: A Remembrance of Jesus, Sermon 2038 - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Photo credit: By John Snyder (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.