Skip to main content

Is anything too hard for the Lord?


"Then came the word of the Lord unto Jeremiah, saying, Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for Me?” 
Jeremiah 32:26, 27

Those who say that there is no God are, some of them, forced to admit that there is a central force, a power which makes for righteousness. They talk of an impersonal something, but we believe in a personal God, and he who has no personal God has, in truth, no God at all. I cannot call an unknown force my Father, and I cannot address my trust or my prayer to it. It, indeed! The Creator of persons an it! We want Him, a person, a conscious, thinking, acting personality. This we have here, “I am Jehovah.” The name signifies self-existence. God does not exist because of His surroundings; He draws nothing from without, His life is in Himself. He derives no support or aid from anything outside of Himself; indeed, there is nothing which has not come of Him. All things were made by Him, and He sustains all things by the word of His power. 

The name of Jehovah reminds us that He has within Himself sufficiency for all His will; He has adequate power of performance for all His purposes and decrees; Jehovah wills, and it is done. He has created legions of angels, but He borrows nothing from them. He can truly say, “I am, and there is none beside Me.” Those mysterious living creatures which are nearest to His throne are His creatures, and not His helpers. The best instructed and the most willing of His servants, derive their all from Him, but supply Him with nothing. Remembering the name, Shaddai, God all-sufficient, we understand all the better His question, “Is anything too hard for Me?” He lays the burden of the question upon His own self; the whole stress of that which is hard in itself, and too hard for others, He meets with that word, “I am Jehovah.” All the power that can possibly be required in any imaginable case is in that name “Jehovah”! It is an immeasurable word; the eagle’s wing cannot rise to its height; he that dives into the abyss cannot reach its depth. Jehovah’s name is higher than heaven, deeper than hell, broader than space, and greater than all things. What can we know of this infinite word, “I am Jehovah”? 

Moreover, the name sets forth the truth that He is immutable; He is “I am that I am.” Time does not affect Him, nor change come near Him. He is never less than Jehovah; He cannot be more. We may at any moment of the darkest night rest as confidently upon the I AM as in the brightest day. 

In fact, the meaning of that glorious word is infinite and unutterable. I do not wonder that the Jew should fear to write it, and substitute for it the word Adonai, or Lord. We, casting away the superstition, feel an equal reverence, and when our God says to us “I am Jehovah,” we bow before Him, and confess that all questioning of possibility is ended forever. 

Is anything too hard for the Lord?, Sermon 2020 - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Photo credit: By S. Zenner (National Park Service [1]) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Comments