I thought I would pass along some interesting facts about human physiology. The more I study, the more I am in awe at how God has formed us.
Did you know...
The kidneys are more than just the main site of our personal waste water treatment plant. When the red blood count is low, the kidneys secrete the hormone used to stimulate production of new red blood cells.
1.5 million red blood cells are produced and destroyed in the human body every second.
A red blood cell does not have a nucleus and is unable to divide or repair itself. It only lasts about 120 days. At that point specialized cells break down the molecules. The amino acids are used by the body to build other cells. Iron is stripped and stored in the liver and spleen to build more red blood cells when the diet does not contain enough iron. Some of the remainder is converted to bilirubin which is an antioxidant, protecting cells from free radicals.
It is not unusual for the clavicle (collar bone) to break during the birth process, but a baby's rate of bone growth is so fast that the bone heals itself within a matter of days.
Babies are born without knee caps. (This explains why my daughter could crawl so fast without any discomfort to her knees.) These bones develop between ages 2-6.
The scalp contains about 100,000 hairs. (Each of which is numbered, of course.)
The average person takes approximately 300 million breaths in a lifetime.
Our eyes remain the same size from birth, but our ears and nose never stop growing.
The cochlea (inner ear) has tiny hairs that detect different frequencies of sound, sending nerve impules through the cochlear branch of the auditory nerve to the auditory cortex in each temporal lobe of the brain. The location in the cochlea of these tiny hairs correspond to the frequency of the sound and the number of hairs stimulated correspond to the loudness of the sound.
Pretty amazing, don't you think?
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139: 13-16.
Did you know...
The kidneys are more than just the main site of our personal waste water treatment plant. When the red blood count is low, the kidneys secrete the hormone used to stimulate production of new red blood cells.
1.5 million red blood cells are produced and destroyed in the human body every second.
A red blood cell does not have a nucleus and is unable to divide or repair itself. It only lasts about 120 days. At that point specialized cells break down the molecules. The amino acids are used by the body to build other cells. Iron is stripped and stored in the liver and spleen to build more red blood cells when the diet does not contain enough iron. Some of the remainder is converted to bilirubin which is an antioxidant, protecting cells from free radicals.
It is not unusual for the clavicle (collar bone) to break during the birth process, but a baby's rate of bone growth is so fast that the bone heals itself within a matter of days.
Babies are born without knee caps. (This explains why my daughter could crawl so fast without any discomfort to her knees.) These bones develop between ages 2-6.
The scalp contains about 100,000 hairs. (Each of which is numbered, of course.)
The average person takes approximately 300 million breaths in a lifetime.
Our eyes remain the same size from birth, but our ears and nose never stop growing.
The cochlea (inner ear) has tiny hairs that detect different frequencies of sound, sending nerve impules through the cochlear branch of the auditory nerve to the auditory cortex in each temporal lobe of the brain. The location in the cochlea of these tiny hairs correspond to the frequency of the sound and the number of hairs stimulated correspond to the loudness of the sound.
Pretty amazing, don't you think?
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139: 13-16.
Thanks for the amazing facts! I do think though, that when we get to Heaven our ears and nose stop growing.
ReplyDeleteGod is absolutely amazing! What a body he has created for us. Though I still laugh when I think of an early Jerry Seinfeld when he quipped that if we thought of our body as a used car, due to its high maintenance and quirks, we would never buy it.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
It is amazing. God is amazing. And I hope Eddie is right.
ReplyDelete