This is my 500th post.
I started my blog in 2008 as part of my quest to make sense of what was happening in my life. At the same time, God mercifully began to open up the truth of His sovereignty. I'm a very different person today (for the better I hope!), and this blog has been a record of finding my home in the Doctrines of Grace.
I still have much to learn in the way of writing well and wrestling through ideas. so blogging has been good practice. I have a store of topics that are on the back burner, but I want to think carefully and learn to write with clarity before I commit to "paper". I don't know if I have found my "voice" yet, but I think it will come as I continue to read, think, and write.
It has been a joy to "meet" brothers and sisters through the blogsphere. I have been blessed by your love of the Word, appreciation for Church history, the quotes, your sense of humor, and book and sermon recommendations. I've learned to write better by reading your blogs. I'm encouraged to read your testimonies of God's faithfulness in every day life and to learn a little bit about you.
So thanks for stopping by and reading my posts. Thanks for your comments and encouragement to me in my journey. Although, we may not meet this side of glory, I'm thankful that God has many children who love Him, love theology and doctrine, and want to glorify Him.
As a way to celebrate this milestone and to thank you for visiting my little blip on the blogsphere radar, I will be hosting a book giveaway. The book is Voices From the Past - Puritan Devotional Readings edited by Richard Rushing from Banner of Truth. I started reading it myself and have been blessed by it. The book contains 365 rich excerpts from 30+ different Puritan authors. In addition to the book, I will include a beaded bookmark, like the ones below (click on the pic for a larger view), with the face of the dead theologian of your choice, provided we can find a picture. (Brothers, if you think this is too girly, you can give it to your wife, daughter, mother, sister, or friend.)
Enter the giveaway by leaving a comment with the name of your favorite dead theologian. The giveaway will be open until midnight June 11, 2010 after which a winner will be randomly selected. Thanks for entering.
I started my blog in 2008 as part of my quest to make sense of what was happening in my life. At the same time, God mercifully began to open up the truth of His sovereignty. I'm a very different person today (for the better I hope!), and this blog has been a record of finding my home in the Doctrines of Grace.
I still have much to learn in the way of writing well and wrestling through ideas. so blogging has been good practice. I have a store of topics that are on the back burner, but I want to think carefully and learn to write with clarity before I commit to "paper". I don't know if I have found my "voice" yet, but I think it will come as I continue to read, think, and write.
It has been a joy to "meet" brothers and sisters through the blogsphere. I have been blessed by your love of the Word, appreciation for Church history, the quotes, your sense of humor, and book and sermon recommendations. I've learned to write better by reading your blogs. I'm encouraged to read your testimonies of God's faithfulness in every day life and to learn a little bit about you.
So thanks for stopping by and reading my posts. Thanks for your comments and encouragement to me in my journey. Although, we may not meet this side of glory, I'm thankful that God has many children who love Him, love theology and doctrine, and want to glorify Him.
As a way to celebrate this milestone and to thank you for visiting my little blip on the blogsphere radar, I will be hosting a book giveaway. The book is Voices From the Past - Puritan Devotional Readings edited by Richard Rushing from Banner of Truth. I started reading it myself and have been blessed by it. The book contains 365 rich excerpts from 30+ different Puritan authors. In addition to the book, I will include a beaded bookmark, like the ones below (click on the pic for a larger view), with the face of the dead theologian of your choice, provided we can find a picture. (Brothers, if you think this is too girly, you can give it to your wife, daughter, mother, sister, or friend.)
Enter the giveaway by leaving a comment with the name of your favorite dead theologian. The giveaway will be open until midnight June 11, 2010 after which a winner will be randomly selected. Thanks for entering.


Congrats on your 500th post!!! What a milestone. And to think God has blessed your journey as well.
ReplyDeleteYou have been a rich blessing to me many times!
I would love to win that book. My favorite dead Theologian is John Calvin
Thanks for the opportunity. may God continue to bless Providence House and may He providentially pick this entry!
Well congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI totallly can relate to your journey because I've only been blogging for 5 months! It is a learning and honing process, but one filled with such blessing!
I think you are a very good writer so please keep it up!
As to a favoritie dead theologian...Wow! Too many to consider, and I haven't read nearly as much of all of them as I hope to! Does the Apostle Paul count?
If not, right now I'll have to say Arthur Pink...but then there's Calvin, Spurgeon, Winslow, Edwards....ahhh - do I HAVE to pick one?
Blessings on your next 500 posts!
Diane
I've very much enjoyed reading your blog! Congrats on your 500th post milestone!
ReplyDeleteI, too, would love to have this book, so count me in. As for dead theologians? I'm not well read...have read more 'about' rather than 'by' and more in line of 'quotes' than in entire books. But I'm open to Calvin, Pink, Spurgeon. Or whoever.
Last July, I discovered Eddie Eddings' Calvinistic Cartoons. I very quickly set two* goals for myself. One of them was to aim to match the wit of LURAB and Pilgrim Mommy (imo the 2 funniest & most clever commenters) in the captions I write. Your "The Bible Algebra Man" was superb.
ReplyDeleteI have also enjoyed reading your blog, and appreciate the comments you have written on mine.
My favorite dead theologian, Samuel Rutherford, is presently enjoying eternal life in the presence of his Savior.
Craig B.
* My second goal was more of an impish desire: To make Eddie burst out laughing just as he is taking a big gulp of a beverage, thus spewing said beverage from mouth and nostrils. According to a comment from Eddie, I once did achieve that goal. I am still aiming at the other one. ; )
I once heard Greg Koukl describe John MacArthur as having all the charisma of "death warmed over." Does that qualify Macarthur as a "dead theologian?"
ReplyDeleteCraig B.
@Stranger (Craig):
ReplyDeleteMacArthur is still "warmed over". Dead theologians are stone cold. :-)
Congratsanjubilations! (new word)
ReplyDeleteHope the next 500 are just as good! (keep writing song lyrics as well!)
btw...may i (small "I" indicates humility) use the Mr. Spurgeon song on my blog (Photoshop something for background) if I give you credit and point towards your lyrical site?
ReplyDeleteIf no...then just don't say anything. I'll get the idea within the year.
...it would be awhile before I would use it - I have everything pre-scheduled up to mid-August.
Eddie:
ReplyDeleteYou are more than welcome to use "Mr. Spurgeon."
Thanks. Done. Scheduled for August 13.
ReplyDeleteI really think you should re-post your songs and lyrics that you did for Calvinistic Cartoons on your Invasion of the Tune Snatchers blog site. Because a lot of readers never explore the archives.(just a suggestion)