Tonight I drove my daughter to meet her dad. This is the last week-end they will have together before he remarries. We were both quiet in the car. I don't know if this was on her mind or not.
This will be the final closure after a long four years. I can't help but shed a few tears for the man who's now a stranger to me and for our daughter. We had Jeremiah 29:11 engraved in our wedding bands. Naively we thought God's promise for a future and a hope meant a happy Christian marriage. But He had something else in mind, and He didn't renege on His word. I still have a future and a hope. Not in happily-ever-after, but in the God who gives the promise.
This will be the final closure after a long four years. I can't help but shed a few tears for the man who's now a stranger to me and for our daughter. We had Jeremiah 29:11 engraved in our wedding bands. Naively we thought God's promise for a future and a hope meant a happy Christian marriage. But He had something else in mind, and He didn't renege on His word. I still have a future and a hope. Not in happily-ever-after, but in the God who gives the promise.
Our enemies would allot us a very dreary portion, but we are not left in their hands. The Lord will cause us to stand in our lot, and our place is appointed by His infinite wisdom. A wiser mind than our own arranges our destiny. The ordaining of all things is with God, and we are glad to have it so; we choose that God should choose for us. If we might have our own way we would wish to let all things go in God's way.
Being conscious of our own folly, we would not desire to rule our own destinies. We feel safer and more at ease when the Lord steers our vessel than we could possibly be if we could direct it according to our own judgment. Joyfully we leave the painful present and the unknown future with our Father, our Saviour, our Comforter.
O my soul, this day lay down thy wishes at Jesus' feet! If thou hast of late been somewhat wayward and willful, eager to be and to do after thine own mind, now dismiss thy foolish self and place the reins in the Lord's hands. Say, 'He shall choose.' If others dispute the sovereignty of the Lord, and glory in the free will of man, do thou answer them, 'He shall choose for me.' It is my freest choice to let Him choose. As a free agent, I elect that He should have absolute sway.From Faith's Checkbook, C.H. Spurgeon, reading for April 14.
I am sorry for your pain and for your daughters. I will pray today for all involved. I can relate...not in all ways but in some...and I ache for you. God be with you. Anna
ReplyDeleteThat must be very hard for both of you. I pray you will know God's peace in the days ahead.
ReplyDeletePraying for comfort and peace. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteAlleljuia! Yes, believing with you in the sovereignty of our God in your life.
ReplyDeleteLove you and praying that Christ continue to be formed in you....
Persis, thank you for such honest transparency as you faithfully endure. This was a real blessing and something I needed today. My prayers are with you. So many times make so little sense, but I thank God that I don't have to make sense of them all, I simply need to trust Him and His wisdom as both you and Spurgeon instruct us. Traditionally, I am not a hugger, but consider a hug for both you and your daughter sent through this inadequate comment.
ReplyDeleteThat's very sad. I'm sorry to hear it. Thank God for your testimony of faith in the one who never fails.
ReplyDeleteI love you, my dear friend.
ReplyDeleteYou are in my heart and prayers.
May you find joy in the only source of joy that never dries up!
Sad, not doubt. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. But God, He is good beyond measure, and He uses this to bring you and only He knows whom else closer to His heart and holiness! Praying for you. Great edifying post, by the way!
ReplyDeleteThank you, brothers and sisters, for the comments and prayers. They've encouraged my soul. The Lord is the only one who can take sorrow and turn it into joy, and He has. Thank God for the security of His sovereignty.
ReplyDeletePersis,
ReplyDeleteI don't know what to say other than I am praying of you. God bless you for being a testimony of His grace and the love of Christ. I hug you in my heart, sweet friend and pray you continue to glorify Him in this trial.