I've already linked to Rachael Denhollander's victim impact statement. Please watch it in its entirety or read the transcript. Don't just watch the last section as recommended in The Gospel Coalition post. Why?
"What do both insiders and outsiders see when they examine us? Do they see growth? Purity? Love? Plenty of naïve Christians have committed sexual sin because they didn’t give proper thought to the implications of their identity in Christ or exercise wisdom and discernment in their relationships. This should be addressed with competent teaching, calls to personal responsibility, and discipline. But keeping an arm’s length away from half of our community doesn’t prepare us for our eschatological hope."
"It requires no effort for us to borrow and appropriate our favorite excerpts from her statement, but she paid for the ability to say what she said at the end with blood, sweat, tears, sacrifice, rejection, exposure, humiliation, profound loss, and more. The power of the final part of her address rests fully in a sober reckoning with everything that preceded it. If we listen, it’s obvious that it’s not just Larry Nassar who needs to repent; it’s not just Larry Nassar who requires forgiveness."
Rachael Denhollander's Victim Impact Statement: Why We Need to Read the Whole Thing - Judy Wu Dominick
"What do both insiders and outsiders see when they examine us? Do they see growth? Purity? Love? Plenty of naïve Christians have committed sexual sin because they didn’t give proper thought to the implications of their identity in Christ or exercise wisdom and discernment in their relationships. This should be addressed with competent teaching, calls to personal responsibility, and discipline. But keeping an arm’s length away from half of our community doesn’t prepare us for our eschatological hope."
You Promiscuously Call One Another Brothers and Sisters! - Aimee Byrd
"I’m not a feminist. I’m not an egalitarian. What I am is tired of the name-calling and the attempts to silence me and others like me."
(I am so looking forward to her forthcoming book on Christian friendship. We need that book!!!)
"Parenting is a godly work, but that is not what gives a woman value. What gives her value is the reality that she is created in the image of God. One of the things I learned a lot about when I wrote a term paper about abortion is that personhood is not a matter of function but essence. I am not a person because I am able to walk, think, speak, and serve. I am a person because I was created by God."
From a "Worthless" Evangelical Woman: A Response to Robert Truelove and Grace for the Worthless: An Open Letter to Robert Truelove
(When will American Christians stop assuming that their majority cultural experience is uniform for the rest of the world? Glad for this pushback from Hannah and Jay Sawrie.)
Is it the fear and pressure? - Kim Shay
"I’m not a feminist. I’m not an egalitarian. What I am is tired of the name-calling and the attempts to silence me and others like me."
No, I'm not a feminist or an egalitarian - Rachel Miller
(Seems like the main question being asked of Christians today isn't "Do you have an orthodox view of God and the doctrine of justification by faith alone?", but rather "Are you now or have you ever been a feminist?")
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.