Skip to main content

The Atonement

This album has been at the top of my play list.

It's not easy listening. In fact, I find myself mentally flinching at some of the lyrics. Not because any of the lyrics are offensive but that the lyrics are so honest.

Shai Linne does not mince words in describing the total depravity of man. Any thoughts that people are basically good get demolished by In Adam All Die.

He doesn't mince words about the brutality of the cross, physically as well as Christ being made the sin bearer. I naturally want to shy away from such things. In fact, I haven't seen Mel Gibson's Passion of Christ for that very reason. It is an offense and offends our 21st century civilized sensibilities. It's no wonder that so-called theologians want to strip the cross of it's real meaning - the penal substitutionary atonement of our Savior.

Through My Eyes captures the fear and agony of the thief on the cross. I think this is the hardest song for me to listen to. Perhaps because it conveys the hopelessness of death for someone without God. However, this song also captures the faith and grace that is extended to this man at the moment of ultimate despair. Somehow in that moment, a miracle of grace occurs and this man sees Jesus as the Christ. Yes, it was at his worst moment. But to make it even more incredible, it was at Christ's worst moment, naturally speaking.

On Palm Sunday, Pastor Ryan spoke about the thief on the cross and this very thing. I had never seen before the remarkable faith that God granted the thief to behold the glory of Christ. The rest of the crowd saw Jesus as defeated and worthless. By faith, this man knew and believed that Jesus would come into His kingdom.

I am still pondering the lyrics. I find it slightly humorous that the doctrinally rich Atonement Q&A is, in my opinion, one of the lighter songs on the album. This gives an indication of how weighty the lyrics are. Frankly, most Christian Contemporary Music is put to shame by this album. Triune Praise and Throne of Grace blow most worship choruses right out of the water.

Thank God for raising up a modern day hymn writer to declare truth in this day and age of watered down Christianity.

It’s where we see Your holiness- at the cross
We see that You’re controlling this- at the cross
We see how You feel about sin- at the cross
Your unfathomable love for men- at the cross
It’s where we see Your sovereignty- at the cross
We see our idolatry- at the cross
We know that there’s a judgment day- from the cross
May we never take our eyes away- from the cross

Chorus from The Cross (3 hours) by Shai Linne

Comments

  1. Yes I love this album, discovered it yesterday for the very first time. I got it on itunes. I just want to listen to the truths over and over. Some of it brings tearsto my eyes. All glory to God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.