From my notes on Sunday's sermon:
- Cherish and nurture our children in the Gospel. Not that they only love you, but that they fall in love with Christ.
- Give our children the Gospel, not Christian materialism.
- The Gospel is Christ-esteem not self-esteem.
- Raise children who are poor in spirit not religious moralists.
- Obedience is out of our identity and standing. Our identity and standing is not because of our obedience.
Pastor Ryan's point about not raising children who are just religious moralists struck a chord in my heart.
I was raised in a Christian home by parents who love the Lord. Not to fault them, but I was a Christian and a good religious moralist. I never rebelled, at least not outwardly. I was always one of the good kids. But I also learned how to play the game. I learned that as long as I maintained a good outward appearance everyone thought I was a good Christian daughter. Although there was nothing outwardly wrong in my behavior, I shudder at what was in my heart and thoughts.
As a parent, I fell into the same trap of religious moralism. I was wired to view everything in terms of doing the right thing and not making mistakes. I was also wiring my daughter to do the same thing. After all, we homeschooled and were protecting her from all the evil worldly influences outside. Wasn't that the guarantee that she would turn out fine?
We could provide her with the best possible environment but if it's devoid of the Gospel, it's not worth a hill of beans. I'd only be raising another good little pharisee.
But God is so merciful. When the Lord began to open up the doctrines of grace, it had a huge affect on my view of parenting. Getting a glimpse of how horrible I am in my sin and my need of God, showed me my utter need as a mother, too. I was also getting some clarity on justification and sanctification and finding freedom from performance driven Christianity.
Another thing God used was the breakup of our family. Life is more than the perfect Christian homeschooling family. Unless life is for Christ, what's the point? This was driven home to both of us by having our dream family vanish away. (No pun intended.)
As a testimony to God's redeeming power, several months ago my daughter came to me in tears confessing a sin that had occurred in the past. I was so encouraged because this was proof to me that she is saved. Here was the Holy Spirit bringing conviction to her heart. She wanted to confess her sin and get right with God and with me.
This is the Gospel at work in her heart.
I still have so much to learn as a parent. But I'm so thankful that we can go on day by day in our struggles, confessing our sin to one another, spurring one another to pursue Christ, rejoicing in Him, and holding onto the Gospel in our lives.
To quote C.J. Mahaney:
"Why is it critical for us to hold fast the Gospel? Why is it critical for us to keep the Gospel? Why is it critical for us to treasure the Gospel on a daily basis? Because daily our tendency and temptation is to forget the main thing.
DO NOT RELAX YOUR GRIP ON THE GOSPEL!!!!!"
- Cherish and nurture our children in the Gospel. Not that they only love you, but that they fall in love with Christ.
- Give our children the Gospel, not Christian materialism.
- The Gospel is Christ-esteem not self-esteem.
- Raise children who are poor in spirit not religious moralists.
- Obedience is out of our identity and standing. Our identity and standing is not because of our obedience.
Pastor Ryan's point about not raising children who are just religious moralists struck a chord in my heart.
I was raised in a Christian home by parents who love the Lord. Not to fault them, but I was a Christian and a good religious moralist. I never rebelled, at least not outwardly. I was always one of the good kids. But I also learned how to play the game. I learned that as long as I maintained a good outward appearance everyone thought I was a good Christian daughter. Although there was nothing outwardly wrong in my behavior, I shudder at what was in my heart and thoughts.
As a parent, I fell into the same trap of religious moralism. I was wired to view everything in terms of doing the right thing and not making mistakes. I was also wiring my daughter to do the same thing. After all, we homeschooled and were protecting her from all the evil worldly influences outside. Wasn't that the guarantee that she would turn out fine?
We could provide her with the best possible environment but if it's devoid of the Gospel, it's not worth a hill of beans. I'd only be raising another good little pharisee.
But God is so merciful. When the Lord began to open up the doctrines of grace, it had a huge affect on my view of parenting. Getting a glimpse of how horrible I am in my sin and my need of God, showed me my utter need as a mother, too. I was also getting some clarity on justification and sanctification and finding freedom from performance driven Christianity.
Another thing God used was the breakup of our family. Life is more than the perfect Christian homeschooling family. Unless life is for Christ, what's the point? This was driven home to both of us by having our dream family vanish away. (No pun intended.)
As a testimony to God's redeeming power, several months ago my daughter came to me in tears confessing a sin that had occurred in the past. I was so encouraged because this was proof to me that she is saved. Here was the Holy Spirit bringing conviction to her heart. She wanted to confess her sin and get right with God and with me.
This is the Gospel at work in her heart.
I still have so much to learn as a parent. But I'm so thankful that we can go on day by day in our struggles, confessing our sin to one another, spurring one another to pursue Christ, rejoicing in Him, and holding onto the Gospel in our lives.
To quote C.J. Mahaney:
"Why is it critical for us to hold fast the Gospel? Why is it critical for us to keep the Gospel? Why is it critical for us to treasure the Gospel on a daily basis? Because daily our tendency and temptation is to forget the main thing.
DO NOT RELAX YOUR GRIP ON THE GOSPEL!!!!!"
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.