I've been thinking about hymns this week and my own convoluted musical journey.I always remember singing hymns as a child. Since I was raised in a Plymouth Brethren church, we sang lots of hymns. In college, I became enamored with short choruses and contemporary Christian music. I came back to hymns when I became a mom because I wanted my daughter to have the heritage of knowing and loving hymns. Nine years ago, I steered clear of choruses because I was leery of how they could be used to emotionally manipulate a congregation.
What's ironic is that after my husband left, I started listening to Christian music again. What was I drawn to? The songs that evoked a strong emotional response. In my loss, I needed to feel that at least God loved me. Believe me, there were plenty of songs to fit the bill.
Here's a song that I would listen to:
The more I seek you, the more I find you
The more I find you, the more I love you
Chorus:I wanna sit at your feet
drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breath, here your heart beat
This love is so deep, it's more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming
The more I find you, the more I love you
Chorus:I wanna sit at your feet
drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breath, here your heart beat
This love is so deep, it's more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming
Definitely a Jesus is my boyfriend song, and I used to listen to those a lot.
No offence to the songwriter, but my reaction now is ewwww!!! This song and others like it were long on emotion and short on Biblical truth. There was a brief emotional high but it didn't last long.
God was merciful to bring Sovereign Grace Music across my path through the Christian blogsphere. These songs were different from anything I heard before. The music was contemporary but the words had real substance. Providentially, I also began to listen to Indelible Grace. I appreciated the serious hymns dealing with trials and suffering on their albums. I think my love for hymns was rekindled again.
My musical journey has recently taken an usual turn to Shai Linne's Christian hip hop. His lyrics are packed full of theological truth and fully engage my mind while I listen to them. I have to confess that hip hop is growing on me.
I was trying to reconcile the diversity of music I listen to now. But they have a common factor which is more important than the musical style. The songs that declare the truth of God, His character, and His ways with His people are the ones that have staying power. The songs that exalt Christ have a lasting edifying effect. The songs that convey Biblical truth are the ones worth listening to.
So the verse is true even in music. The truth will set you free.
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.