Skip to main content

A month of thanksgiving #14

I am thankful that we celebrated the Lord's supper today.  What a privilege to remember His death until He comes.

I am thankful for the conviction of the Holy Spirit through the preaching of the Word.  In a nutshell we were admonished to guard the deposit entrusted to us (1 Timothy 6:20-21), which is the gospel and sound doctrine. But we were challenged to guard the truth and not forget Who entrusted it to us in the first place.  Also we were challenged to guard this deposit in a manner that would not cause us to forsake our love for one another.

There is much that I need to wrestle through from today's sermon, because I can see this tendency in me. (I'm still cage-stage.) There's a danger of being so vigilant about the truth that I could become impatient and unloving towards those who don't see eye-to-eye 100%. The Lord has already been pricking my heart about this issue, so I'm thankful for His faithfulness in driving this point home today.

Comments

  1. Persis,
    What a blessing it is to have something to "chew on" from the sermon and to have a heart sensitive to the Holy Spirit. I think there's that tendency for all of us to be so passionate about the truth that impatience can set in with others. Being aware of it and on guard is such a gift in itself. Here on your blog I treasure that you speak the truth and do it in a loving way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persis, You must be a member of our "Daughters of Thunder" club. I actually made a logo for it once. lol!

    Yes, zeal is a good thing if it's tempered with love and self control. Sounds like you have a great pastor!
    Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.

    "My soul is drawn out to thee in longing desires for thy presence in the sanctuary, at the table, where all are entertained on a feast of good things; Let me before the broken elements, emblems of thy dying love, cry to thee with broken heart for grace and forgiveness."

    (Valley of Vision, p. 195)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been convicted, too lately of perhaps having too much theology and not enough love.

    It is hard to love someone when you know (think) that they aren't as "close to God" as you are..I am speaking about myself here. I need to remind myself of the pit from which I was dug and ask the Lord to give me a sincere and loving heart to those who may be in a different place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.