Skip to main content

From the Gadsby Hymnal

In darkness born, I went astray,
And wandered from the gospel way;
And since the Saviour gave me sight,
I cannot see without his light.

So poor, and blind, and lame I am,
My all is bound up in the Lamb;
And blessed am I when I see
My spirit's inmost poverty.

I cannot walk without his might,
I cannot see without his light;
I can have no access to God,
But through the merits of his blood.

It makes me feel my ruined state,
It lays my soul at mercy's gate;
And Jesus smiles at such a guest;
And cheers him with a heavenly feast.

John Berridge (1716-1793)

Comments

  1. how beautiful. it's amazing to me how the lyrics to these hymns, as compared to the lyrics of today's contemporary music, possess such a rich theology.

    i love how these words acknowledge the sinful condition of man but then point to the heavenly mercies.

    thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And blessed am I when I see my spirit's inmost poverty." I still remember how surprised I was when I came to understand that truth. Oh, blessed truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to echo Christina's words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.