Skip to main content

www.oiyougetoffmylawn.com

Well, in a day when identity politics is in, I have decided to launch my own webzine, aimed specifically at that most neglected sector of today's culture: miserable middle-aged gits, of whom I am a foremost representative. To capture the essence of the project, I am going to call it "Oi You, Get Off My Lawn!" as long as the relevant web address (www.oiyougetoffmylawn.com) is not taken . . . [T]here'll be a regular editorial, addressing such urgent issues of the day as "Dooyeweerd or Don't You Weird? The Case Against Soul Patches," and "Why Are There Never Enough Parking Places at the Prostate Clinic? Toward a Christian Response." Now, if you don't think these columns and questions are relevant, then you must be either (a) a woman or (b) a man under the age of 40. If the latter, give it a few years and the profound relevance of these issues will be painfully clear. In the meantime, don't oppress me by engaging in the imperialist, sexist, modernist, foundationalist, misereablemiddleagedgitophobic, etc., etc. marginalizing of "the Other" - i.e., me and my pals - in order to make your own little world the norm. Miserable middle-aged gits we may be, but we have a right to our culture and our own local narrative too! We have been silenced by the oppressors for too long.
(I hope you'll forgive the frequent quotes, but this book has so many winners.)

Fools Rush In Where Monkeys Fear to Tread, Carl Trueman, P&R Publishing, 2012, pp. 103-104.

Comments

  1. Oi you----this messed with my mind a little bit, but humorously so, and I finally got it.

    I haven't read very much CT and didn't know he had such great wit. Like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persis,
    I'm enjoying these excerpts! Sounds like another keeper from Trueman. I'd like to be in the room when you're reading this stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book on my amazon wishlist--maybe I will have to get it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.