Skip to main content

The Doctor meets Spurgeon - is the gospel for alien life forms, too?

I wrote a novel for NaNoWriMo 2006. The story was a combination of Doctor Who and Jane Austen fan fiction. The Doctor, in his Chris Eccleston regeneration, takes a new companion to a Jane Austen virtual reality theme park in the 35th century that is being sabotaged by unknown enemies. There is a minor tribute to the mice of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, my pet bunnies make a cameo appearance, as does the mafia and Interpol. The Daleks and the Slitheens show up as some of the villains. Davros proposes to Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Sadly, he is rejected and is destined to nurse a broken heart the rest of his life. All in all, it was a very strange story and did not take itself seriously but I did get my 50000 words completed by November 30. My daughter read my novel last week and thought it was a hoot. I don't think she knew how odd my humor could be.

She has come up with an idea for another story where we both go on the Tardis with the Doctor and Rose. We haven't decided whether it is the doctor from Season 1 or 2.

Since we are Calvinists, we would want to go back in time to hear Spurgeon preach at the Metropolitan Tabernacle. After that, we would go back to the Puritan era to hear John Bunyan, John Owen, John Flavel, and Jeremiah Burroughs. I think I would like to meet John Calvin after that and be present when Martin Luther nails his 95 theses on the Wittenburg church door. Maybe we could get the Doctor to take us to hear Jonathan Edwards preach 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' as well. Also after hearing John Piper's talk on George Whitefield, it would be something to hear his amazing preaching. I don't know how many of these great men we would actually get to hear. I think the Doctor would get tired of running a tour just to see dead theologians.

My daughter was thinking that at some point we would share the gospel with Rose. But what about the Doctor? He's an alien from Gallifrey. Is the gospel for humans alone or for aliens as well? This has led to several interesting questions:

- Is the fall of man confined to Earth? Our solar system? Our galaxy? Our known universe?

- If there were other life forms in the universe, would more of them be atheists or not? (I think she answered this one herself by realizing that probably most sci-fi writers are atheists. Therefore, their characters would be atheists, too.)

- Would the Doctor ask Jesus into his hearts?

This obviously will not happen in real life. However, I'm glad that my daughter is thinking about what it is to be a Christian and wanting to bring her belief as a Christian into every situation, real and hypothetical.

I may have my plot for the next NaNoWriMo.

Comments