- "[B]ut the truth that if you actually love you will actually suffer is something we Christians should know best."
This quote is from a great post by Frank Turk on TeamPyro. This hit home because the church is getting to ready to embark on small groups. There is a lot of excitement because so many people have been visiting and joining in the last 6 months. In July 2008, there may have been 30 on a good Sunday. Now, all the pews are starting to get filled.
Right now we're all smiling, nice, and congenial but are we or rather am I willing to get beyond the smiley, nice, warm fuzzies and be willing to be hurt for the sake of loving my brethren in Christ? It's scary to be vulnerable, letting my sin be exposed and open to correction, possible conflicts in the future, etc. But what's worse is the thought that everyone will go on being nice, congenial, and safe but without any impact on each other or those in the community around us.
It's easy for me to measure out how much I am willing to give of myself but I don't want to do that. I had a bad experience in the past where "fellowship" led to dependence on the church and almost worship of the church rather than dependence on God and worship being devoted to Him. However, I don't want what happened in the past to make me afraid of being built together in the body of Christ.
- I tried to listen to this whole interview with William Young, the author of The Shack. I couldn't get through it all. What bugged me the most was it seemed like he was trying to avoid getting pinned down on what he really thought of penal substitutionary atonement and Christian universalism. If he really doesn't believe in substitutionary atonement just come out and say it! If he's a Christian universalist, come out and say it! Is there a reason to hide that? However, I think Mr. Young did, in a very roundabout way, make it clear that he does not believe in the penal substitutionary atonement of Christ.
I have a number of friends who have gone bonkers over the book. A few tried to recommend it to me because of my impending divorce. I don't question their love and concern. I think it is very natural and normal to want to comfort someone going through a difficult time. I do question whether the god of the warm fuzzy is really what someone needs in a time of deep trial. When the bottom has fallen out of my world, do I want Santa Claus (or Santa Clausette) or do I desperately need a God who is love and holy, righteous and just? I think I'll pass on Santa.
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.