This post by Kim of Upward Call is so true.
It's ironic in a sad way that although most Christians would agree that the worship of God is the main focus of the Sunday service, how much does 21st century Christianity downplay who He really is? Does God have a PR problem where His character needs to be soft pedaled to make Him more palatable? Does He have a bad user interface and needs to be made more user friendly? I would think the problem isn't with God but with us.
Many popular Christian songs use the words awe and awesome. Do we want to be awestruck by the presence of God? Do we want to see the Lord like Isaiah did in all His holiness and at the same time be struck with our sinfulness in His presence?
Don't even get me started on Esther choruses - the ones where God's name is not mentioned but only implied. This dates me, but ever since You Light Up My Life was touted as a Christian song, I've had a distinct aversion to those kind of songs. I think the Triune God deserves better than to be referred to only as You, He, or other nondescriptive pronouns which could be interpreted as someone's significant other.
On the other hand, I am so grateful for the local church where God has placed us. When we visited even before we understood the doctrines of grace, I was struck with how Christ centered it was. Praise God, He has given our new pastor and the members of the church a desire that He would be glorified and honored in all that we do. May God give grace and humility for that to continue and to grow.
It's ironic in a sad way that although most Christians would agree that the worship of God is the main focus of the Sunday service, how much does 21st century Christianity downplay who He really is? Does God have a PR problem where His character needs to be soft pedaled to make Him more palatable? Does He have a bad user interface and needs to be made more user friendly? I would think the problem isn't with God but with us.
Many popular Christian songs use the words awe and awesome. Do we want to be awestruck by the presence of God? Do we want to see the Lord like Isaiah did in all His holiness and at the same time be struck with our sinfulness in His presence?
Don't even get me started on Esther choruses - the ones where God's name is not mentioned but only implied. This dates me, but ever since You Light Up My Life was touted as a Christian song, I've had a distinct aversion to those kind of songs. I think the Triune God deserves better than to be referred to only as You, He, or other nondescriptive pronouns which could be interpreted as someone's significant other.
On the other hand, I am so grateful for the local church where God has placed us. When we visited even before we understood the doctrines of grace, I was struck with how Christ centered it was. Praise God, He has given our new pastor and the members of the church a desire that He would be glorified and honored in all that we do. May God give grace and humility for that to continue and to grow.
Rise up oh men of God
Have done with lesser things
Give heart and soul and mind and strength
To serve the King of Kings
Have done with lesser things
Give heart and soul and mind and strength
To serve the King of Kings
A Christ centered church is a blessing (and rarity).
ReplyDelete