A group from church went skiing on Saturday. Although we had to get up at 3:45 AM, the trip was a lot of fun. It was so warm that the snow was more like mashed potatoes. I didn't even make an attempt at skiing. I tried once many moons ago and knew that I am probably past the age to try learning again. My daughter gave it her best shot but the snow conditions and learning without a lesson didn't work to well. She did have a great time snow tubing in the afternoon. I think tubing is more my style because it requires no skill other than sitting. If we go again, I think I will give it a try. It was also fun to go with the folks from church. We are still relatively new so it was good to get to know one another a little bit more outside of a meeting.
I spent the day reading, listening to some sermons, and knitting while most of the folks were playing in the snow. It was also interesting to observe the surroundings and the people. For the day trippers, there was a locker room where you could stow your stuff in lockers or in plastic bins. It wasn't as bad as a high school locker room but very utilitarian. For those who stayed at the resort, the lodge was much cushier. I grabbed an armchair in the lobby which was definitely a cut way above the locker room or the cafeteria. As I sat there, I wondered what it would be like to be able to have a life where it was normal to be able to enjoy whatever whenever I wanted.
It is very tempting to want to have a life that is more like all the vacations you ever dreamed of having than one of ordinary day in and day out events. There is nothing wrong with vacations or skiing or hobbies or enjoying beautiful scenery or enjoying a good meal that you didn't have to cook yourself. I guess my question is, would it be good to have a steady diet of pleasures even when they are not necessarily sinful ones? I'm glad we went on the trip and I would not be adverse to going next year but if every day was like resort living, I don't think that would be a good idea. I don't think it would be healthy for me to live a life where I could have whatever I want without giving it a second thought.
Nowadays, the quality of life is based more on our personal satisfaction of how we feel and what we have. If I feel good and I have what I want, then life is good. Conversely then, life is bad if I don't feel good about myself and I don't have what I want. That's what the world tells us. Advertising tells us that as well. Those who preach a "gospel" of health and wealth almost make it our incumbent right to have the good life. It seems implied that it is demeaning to our position as "Christians" to have anything less than heaven on earth now.
But I think the Bible says something quite the contrary. We are not promised the good life now. Our inheritance is kept in heaven for us. Now is the time of suffering, trial, and affliction but He uses these "to hasten sanctified souls to God and fit them for glory." Also, is there any treasure, pleasure, thing on earth that could surpass Jesus Christ? I don't think so and I pray I live that way.
Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 16:24
Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope. Romans 5:2-4
By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. Hebrews 11:24-26
I spent the day reading, listening to some sermons, and knitting while most of the folks were playing in the snow. It was also interesting to observe the surroundings and the people. For the day trippers, there was a locker room where you could stow your stuff in lockers or in plastic bins. It wasn't as bad as a high school locker room but very utilitarian. For those who stayed at the resort, the lodge was much cushier. I grabbed an armchair in the lobby which was definitely a cut way above the locker room or the cafeteria. As I sat there, I wondered what it would be like to be able to have a life where it was normal to be able to enjoy whatever whenever I wanted.
It is very tempting to want to have a life that is more like all the vacations you ever dreamed of having than one of ordinary day in and day out events. There is nothing wrong with vacations or skiing or hobbies or enjoying beautiful scenery or enjoying a good meal that you didn't have to cook yourself. I guess my question is, would it be good to have a steady diet of pleasures even when they are not necessarily sinful ones? I'm glad we went on the trip and I would not be adverse to going next year but if every day was like resort living, I don't think that would be a good idea. I don't think it would be healthy for me to live a life where I could have whatever I want without giving it a second thought.
Nowadays, the quality of life is based more on our personal satisfaction of how we feel and what we have. If I feel good and I have what I want, then life is good. Conversely then, life is bad if I don't feel good about myself and I don't have what I want. That's what the world tells us. Advertising tells us that as well. Those who preach a "gospel" of health and wealth almost make it our incumbent right to have the good life. It seems implied that it is demeaning to our position as "Christians" to have anything less than heaven on earth now.
But I think the Bible says something quite the contrary. We are not promised the good life now. Our inheritance is kept in heaven for us. Now is the time of suffering, trial, and affliction but He uses these "to hasten sanctified souls to God and fit them for glory." Also, is there any treasure, pleasure, thing on earth that could surpass Jesus Christ? I don't think so and I pray I live that way.
Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 16:24
Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope. Romans 5:2-4
By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. Hebrews 11:24-26
Comments
Post a Comment
Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.