Skip to main content

This mortal life also

I've been considering my mortality. Maybe it's because I'm older. Maybe it's because I know of saints who are suffering from serious illness. But our lives are a vapor. However long God has given us is just an instant compared to eternity. 

Here are some thoughts worth considering by John Flavel:

1. The believer's living time is his laboring time, but his dying time is his harvest time.

2. The believer's living time is his fighting time, but his dying time is his conquering and triumphing time.

3. The believer's living time is his tiresome and weary time, but his dying time is his resting and sleeping time.

4. The believer's living time is his waiting and longing time, but his dying time is his time of enjoying that for which he has wished and waited.

Triumphing Over Sinful Fear by John Flavel, Reformation Heritage, pgs. 95-96.

Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also
The body they may kill, God's truth abideth still
His kingdom is forever.

Martin Luther

Comments

  1. Really wonderful Persis. I know that God uses the strains and tensions of this world to keep my own heart from getting too comfortable with things that are passing away. We Christians, no matter how bad things get, can look forward to the city whose builder and maker is God! Love the Martin Luther quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful eternal reminders, Persis, thank you.
    I, too, ponder my mortality, as I know it stands before me as sure as the sky is blue. But I do not grieve over it as men are wont to do. I only long to see His glory in it all when the time comes.

    God bless,
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me again why I love reading the Puritans. Our lives are indeed like this, whether we are princes or paupers. Those who labor for earthly things will always be disappointed whereas those who labor for the Kingdom will receive their satisfaction in full. Living life with a firm understanding of God's providence means living without regrets. I look forward to that time of harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Such beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read that quote before---nor the book---but it is surely an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was just simply, wonderful. After really struggling with chronic illness for the past three years I have found that there is much comfort in reading the Puritans, they put my really minor struggle into such great perspective. We really are pilgrims on our way home, it's so easy to get stuck thinking about "right now" when I can refocus my eyes on my eternal home. Thank you so much for posting this Persis. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully encouraging! Thank you, Persis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.