Skip to main content

What he said

D. A. Carson:
At the same time, I do worry a bit about women's ministry and men's ministry. Now there is something to be said for it, and sometimes you have to target particular groups, but have you noticed how many women's conferences there are that focus on the book of Ruth and the book of Esther? So that the whole conference is about women, and now we are getting men's conferences, men's conventions. I know I speak at them, but they trouble me just the same. These men's conferences where the whole aim is to be a hunk, to be a hunk for Jesus. Unless you really like UFC, you are definitely second class. Greek scholars need not apply.... 
I understand we are trying to fight the feminization of the church and all of that, but there is something ugly about that too, isn't there? So that at the Gospel Coalition Women's conference we are having next June... it's not about women. It's a women's conference but it's about the gospel for women. And likewise you want to have a men's conference which is all about Jesus and the gospel and the kingdom that is growing and living in the light of eternity and what you do in your home all flowing from the gospel - not a conference about men. It's about the gospel for men...

Those are also parts of the dynamics that start making us want then sub-Christian structures across the board. Sub-Christian structures in the family, sub-Christian stuctures in the home, sub-Christian structures in the church. And you don't fix those things merely by being an authoritarian male.

That's a component - a godly Christian authority where men are functioning as they were designed to be in God's created order, taking responsibility. But it also means Christian men being gentle. I don't care whether you are for UFC. I care whether you are for your wife.

And within that framework then, we need to be casting a vision for a Christian subculture, Christian anti-culture culture, a Christian counterculture that is massive and is not constrained merely by debates on the roles of men and women 
Those passages are there. I don't want you to use these larger arguments to domesticate what I have been saying for the last few hours. But on the other hand, you must see that it's not a question of forbidding something or other to women and then we'll be alright. The issues are much more massive than that and finally bring us to teaching and preaching the whole counsel of God.
From Church - Teaching/Authority in Context of 1 Timothy 2 from the EFCA 2012 conference on complementarianism. If you don't have time to listen to the entire conference, please listen to Dr. Carson's sessions. (emphasis mine)

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting this, Persis. Its thought provoking and it seems to me that any "target ministry" faces the same dangers. I'm thinking specifically of youth groups from my own experience with them through my daughter in her teen years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the ellipses, Dr. Carson refers to single groups. He also gives a good perspective on them in the Q&A after his talk on family.

      Delete
  2. I have listened to the first two by Bob Yarborough. Looking forward to the sessions by Dr. Carson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know no one gets it perfectly, but I liked Carson's emphasis on sticking to the text and leaving application details to each situation. Plus he' has a high view of scripture which is alert to other influences that try to steer the interpretation rather than scripture itself.

      Delete
  3. Gotta love Carson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.