![]() |
| 10 inches of snow |
After nearly 24 hours of snowing, I'm finally digging out. We had a total of 10 inches by the front door, higher in other spots with drifting. This may be small potatoes for other parts of the country, but this storm may have set a record in our neck of the woods. After clearing off the car this morning, I drove very very slowly to the closest main roads. Our street is 2-3 inches of packed slush, ice, and snow, but in 2nd gear I was able to safely navigate the few blocks out of the neighborhood. The main roads are mostly clear, and the highway should be fine, thanks to a report from a neighborly police officer. Therefore, I will be venturing out this afternoon to get my daughter! She is starting to come down with something, so I will glad to have her home to give her some TLC. The sun is shining right now which will help to melt the ice. But we should enjoy the snow while we can as this week-end will be in the 50's!
Yesterday during one of the heaviest parts of the storm, I saw a squirrel pop his head up out of the snow like a periscope. (The above is courtesy of the internet, as the snow was too heavy to take a picture.) He then disappeared under the snow and reappeared by a small tree. Having climbed the tree, he proceeded to jump from tree to tree by leaping from branch to branch. He eventually arrived at a large oak where his drey was located. There was a 2nd squirrel waiting by the drey as if to say, "Where were you? I've been tearing my fur out wondering where you were?". It looked like the 2nd squirrel pulled the 1st squirrel safely into the nest. Perhaps the 2nd squirrel was a worried squirrel wife or mom?


Ten inches is a respectable amount of snow, it seems to me. Certainly not a record in lots of places (including here) but still respectable. In your area, its got to be major! I'll be glad to know that you are safely home again with your precious daughter.
ReplyDeletePersis -- we are still digging out, too! We had almost 2 feet. The subway lines were suspended left and right and while my husband made the trek into work, I was able to work remotely!
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys are ok! Oh, and I love your thoughts on what was going on with the squirrels! Very cute! : )
Love and blessings!
@Dorothy:
ReplyDeleteOur final total was around 13". However Norfolk had the 3rd highest snow fall on record at 14"!
@Christina:
I was thinking of you and your husband when I heard about the huge amount the was dumped on NYC. Stay warm!
Wow, You are all getting hammered over on that side of the country!
ReplyDeleteI love the squirrel pic.
Stay warm!