Skip to main content

For all you bookworms...


1. Do you ever feel guilty about not finishing a book?

2. Do you ever feel guilty starting a book when you have one (or several) unfinished?

3. Do you read only one book at a time?  A few?  More than you should simultaneously?

4. Do you feel guilty about purchasing books?

Comments

  1. 1. No. If I don't finish it I usually have a good reason.

    2. No. I is often necessary.

    3. Usually 1 or 2.

    4. Only when I discover that I've wasted my money on a stupid book.

    Like back when I was preoccupied with end times reading material, I bought a book titled 666. It was awful. I mean, Bows with nuclear-tipped arrows? The main character was a guy who missed the rapture, while his wife and 2 children went up. (Helen, Tommy, and Little Sue) The locusts that came out of the pit were small one-man flying machines. That operation was called "Abadon Ignition."

    Reading it would turn anyone into an amillennialist.

    So...what was your question? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that your library???

    1. YES!!! But then again, I feel guilty about EVERYTHING!!! I don't know if it is the Jew or the Puerto Rican in me!

    2. YES!

    3 At most I will read 3 at a time. Usually 2.

    4. I don't really experience too much guilt upon making the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Usually, but I'm getting over that. There are too many good books to waste time on the bad.

    2. Often. Especially if I owe a review on one of the unfinished ones, or if I put down Owen to read Robert Frost.

    3. I try to just read one at a time, but alas, I'm easily distracted...


    4. Yes. I can find a way to feel guilty about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Christina, those are just the books in Pilgrim Mommy's dining room for casual reading. Her real library is in the den.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. No, because when I don't finish a book is because of a reasonable reason :) I finish 99% of the books I pick up.

    2. NO. I always like to read more than one at the same time... well, more than two, actually; but no more than three.

    3. Sometimes I pick up more books than my hands, eyes, brain, and time allows. What do I do then? Set aside one or two until I finish the rest and then I bring them to my nightstand again.

    4. Sometimes... I think my problem is the same of those who in a buffet fill their plates with food when they have not even finished their first plate. At times I have three books on the waiting desk and I buy two more! That's when I feel kind of guilty :)

    I will come back at the end of the day to read you all, dear commentators.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to 1and 2
    I have many books going at the same time-always.
    No to 4--I shop for my clothes at Walmart-don't go to movies-don't eat out a lot-and when I purchase my books it is to learn more about God-so books are an investment in my way of thinking.
    Books-sweet books-I love them-next to and underneath of my Bible you will always find a BOOK!

    Thanks Persis-a very cool topic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Yes! lol
    2. Yes!
    3. No! There are books lying everywhere, open face down, or with a bookmark.
    4. Nope!

    And I need to add a 5!
    I have numerous notebooks lying around, where I write thoughts, to-dos, devotionals, etc. I discover them everywhere! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here are my answers:

    1. Yes. It must be part of being Chinese. ;-)
    2. Yes. I just started another one yesterday.
    3. I read too many at one time. Usually I can maintain the train of thought, but sometimes I have to set one aside to be finished later.
    4. Yes and no. I try to save in other areas, like Victoria, so I can buy books. They are an investment in truth. However, I do feel a twinge when I purchase more when I know I have so many unread. Getting emails from Westminster Books, Monergism, and Reformation Heritage can be dangerous things. And reading other bloggers book reviews can be dangerous too. :-)

    P.S. Sadly the picture is not my library. However it is a good thing because I would feel even more guilty for not reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Yes. Unless, of course, the book was an atrocious one I never should have started in the first place...

    2. It depends. If I already have 6 books going, then I usually feel a tad guilty about started something else. :)

    3. I typically have about 4 books going at one time.

    4. Nope. Never. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Yes :-)
    2. Yes (number one reason for #1)
    3. More than I can handle/finish (obviously) :-(
    4. No (hmmm!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, Persis!

    1) Very rarely since I finish most every book I start.

    2) Sometimes.

    3) I usually have about 4 books going at a time, usually from different genres.

    4) Yes. I'm a book addict, and I'll be the first to admit it. I often wonder if I could go an entire year without purchasing one book...I know I'd still have plenty to read around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading all of the above, I came to this conclusion:

    No wonder we are good friends! :)

    Happy book shopping!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Civil and pertinent comments are appreciated. Trolling will be deleted. Thanks.